VMware Cloud Community
itamaro
Contributor
Contributor

TP-Link TG-3468 NIC compatibility to VMware ESXi 5.1

Hi,

I am trying to install ESXi 5.1 on my home server, with mobo ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and CPU Intel i5-3550.

The onboard NIC on that mobo (Intel® 82579) appears to be unsupported, so I am looking into buying a cheap PCIe NIC that is supported.

My most available option is TP-Link TG-3468 10/100/1000 PCIe adapter, but I could not find it in the VMware I/O Compatibility Guide (vi_io_guide.pdf).

I have a feeling that I'm not reading that guide correctly, as I can't seem to find in there ANY adapter by TP-Link, which seems odd to me,

in addition to finding a post online (http://v-era.org/2012/06/26/how-to-build-an-affordable-yet-powerful-esxi-server/) by someone who managed to install ESXi 5.0 with the TP-Link NIC.

So, to sum up, is any of the following NICs compatible with VMware ESXi 5.1?

* TP-Link TG-3468

* TP-Link TG-3269

* Edimax EN-9235TX-32

* Tenda TEL9901G

(these are the models that are most available for purchase in my area)

Thanks,

- Itamar.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
itamaro
Contributor
Contributor

Nevermind about that.

I got a supported Intel EXPI9301CTBLK with Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

0 Kudos
Jacek0i
Contributor
Contributor

I just add TP-Link TG-3468 NIC and restarted my ESXi 5.0 and it's well recognized.

0 Kudos
flymeagain
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i have that condition too, with TG-3468, i use esxi 5.1, everything went well except my PCIe network adapter (TG-3468).

the adapter is fully detected, but i can't use it as my networking device(s) (such as ping, etc).

Did i miss something here? Did u really can play your VM network using TG-3468?

I hope i just missed some configuration here.

0 Kudos
Jacek0i
Contributor
Contributor

You surely have something wrong with Your configuration. My TG-3468 works very well since I wrote my last post so it must be something with Your configuration. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
flymeagain
Contributor
Contributor

prob1.jpg

for this perspective, the vmnic0 is the mobo nic (work great), but vmnic2 is pcie nic,

i can't ping , i can't telnet, no arp.

please help.

and if you don't mind, Do you have ym, or other im?

If no, its okay we can use this forum. thanks for fast reply anyway. Smiley Happy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wait..wait.. the problem has been solved. I did miss some configuration. thanks God and thanks to you..

0 Kudos
m4biz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've just installed TP-LINK TG-3468 on my ESXi 5.1 HP Proliant DL 380 G5 Server.

It works like a charms- No issue for only 8 euro.

Ing. Cosimo Mercuro http://cosimomercuro.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos