VMware Cloud Community
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

resize .vmdk

Hi all

I have create a virtual machine in ESXi for windows 2008r2 with 260GB, now I would like to resize it to 80 GB

How can I do it.

BR.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Decreasing the size unfortunately is not as easy as increasing the size of a virtual disk. The most straight forward method is to use VMware Converter with volume based cloning, this will allow you to define the target virtual disk size.

Another option - if you have a disk cloning utility/boot CD - could be to reduce the size of the C:\ partition within the Windows 2008 guest's disk management, then shut down the VM, attach a new 80GB virtual disk, boot the VM from the cloning CD and clone the C:\ partition. Once done, remove the first disk from the VM (I'd recommend you don't delete it at this point, to be able to revert to it in case something doesn't work as expected), set the second disk to SCSI0:0 and boot the VM.

André

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

like ap said use vmware converter.

Another things since you have 2008, if you are using thin provision, you could just shrink the volume in windows.

this way the volume itself wont be larger then 80gb.

the actual vmdk wont shrink but if you havent hit 80gb yet, then it wont.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@abirhasan

This way to shrink a virtual disk may be an option for a blank disk (although in this case it may be rather recreated), but it's highly risky with a virtual disk which already contains partitions and data. The described shrink process will reduce the size without taking care of the data!

André

0 Kudos