have you after the upgrade from vcenter 5.0 to 5.1 setting the permission from SSO User SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin in the "Host & Cluster" Tab of your vCenter Server ?
Give SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin under "Host & Cluster" -> your vCenter Server -> Permissions -> Adminstrator Role
then go Weblogin VDR Appliance -> https://YOUR-IP:8543/vdp-configure/
and re-register the vcenter access (tab configuration , klick change button and then save button)
After the Save Process must be restart the VDR .... look console for success Boot ... during long time ... last you start webclient and see the vdr under HOME TAB.
look page 14 :-)
Hope helps !!!!
Thanks for the attempt, but I've already covered those steps in my install process. I actually setup a specific AD account for VDP to use and assigned permissions according to the documentation you gave me a link to (even using the DOMAIN\user format as requested if using an AD account).
I have a ticket into VMware regarding this, but they're being SUPER slow. I assume that they're buried in support requests for the 5.1 release at the moment, but still...
Actually, I configured the appliance after the first reboot per the instructions, did a reboot but the system never came back up properly (e.g. web services never started). I then rebooted again and it acted as if I never configured it. I re-configured it, rebooted and that time it stuck but I couldn't connect to it from vCenter. I then rebooted AGAIN, verified that the appliance was configured properly, but I still couldn't connect to it from vCenter. That's when I made my post here.
I currently have logs sent to a VMware engineer as of this morning so we'll see what he comes back with after reviewing them.
My install did the same exact thing your's did. "Actually, I configured the appliance after the first reboot per the instructions, did a reboot but the system never came back up properly (e.g. web services never started). I then rebooted again and it acted as if I never configured it. I re-configured it, rebooted and that time it stuck but I couldn't connect to it from vCenter. I then rebooted AGAIN, verified that the appliance was configured properly, but I still couldn't connect to it from vCenter."
I added the admin from the system domain as an administrator as recommended above and rebooted the appliance. did not fix the issue.
I am getting error "HTTP 500 internal server error" from https://xx.xxx.xx.xx:9443/vsphere-client/ when I ty to acess it from the web client. https://xx.xx.xxx.xx:8543/vdp-configure/ still works fine.
Let us know if you get anything from vmware on this.
BTW we are running vCenter 5.1 on Hosts 5.0 update 1.
Found a solution.
I installed Vsphere web client on my vcenter server (troubleshooting an SSO issues in linked mode) and found that the tab for Vsphere dat protection worked. I just had to select the server name and create a backup Job. I then pointed my local Vsphere web client to the Vcenter server (not the data protection appliance as shown in documentation) and it works as well.
I think we have different issues. Even if I attempt to connect to VDP from the web client on the vCenter server itself, it still hangs. Note the word hangs as the web client stops responding to anything vs getting back an error of any type.
Still no word from the VMware engineer assigned to the case I opened. I assume that they're still trying to make sense of the logs I sent in. Would really like to get this working.
In order to clarify that this is not a permissions issue, would you be able to try entering a system-domain admin user's credentials instead of the specific AD user you created for VDP and see if this allows for the web client to function?
Same issue, even when logging in with the default admin SSO account.
I have exactly the same problem as yours, did you find any solutions?
Sorry, I failed to update this thread with the 'resolution'.
Unfortunately there wasn't really a resolution to the matter. VMware took absolutely forever on the ticket and I finally gave up and re-installed VDP *AGAIN* and it finally took that time.
VDP is quickly becoming my most hated piece of software however. It doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I've had it hang up twice and have to cancel it after receiving the morning's report showing that 0 VM's were backed up and 0 VM's failed (totally useless and incorrect info). I'd like to stick with the free built-in option, but I may be forced onto something like Veeam. Maybe that's VMware's intentions.
As much as I hated the previous built-in backup solution, it was way better than the crap they included with 5.1.
Thanks for the info. I hope to get my hands on veeam 6.5 soon and see how good it is. I gave a shot to vmProtect 8 but it does not seem very reliable.
Once I fixed my web client issue (connect though vcenter) ours has been running well. It is very connected to the vcenter server. The night after I moved my vcenter manually to a new cluster and new storage half the backups failed with no error msgs. ran fine the next night.
Still learning the product, would like more options on the backups (timing)
I am also frustrated with VDP. I installed it, configured it, created backup, they worked, etc. Now I want to check on them and I cant get in, it locks up the web client. Rebooting the web-client service did not help.
I know the industry LOVES web based tools, but apps are far more stable. Let us manage VDP from the vCenter client, or create a seperate tool.
I just went thro the same experience. For what it's worth, I had given the appliance a name other than the default and added the new name to DNS. I suspected it was a DNS issue and found a setting on the Options | Advanced | vmname string (default). I shut down the server and changed the string value to my new name and restarted the appliance and it connected straight away.