VMware Cloud Community
asoroudi
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5.0 essentials vRam licensing

Along with vSphere 5.1, VMware has also removed vRAM licensing from vSphere 5.0. If we already have vSphere 5.0 essentials installed, how do we get new licenses to remove the vRAM restrictions? or is there an update to 5.0 that will remove it for us? (we don't want to upgrade to 5.1 right now).

Thank you

0 Kudos
10 Replies
asoroudi
Contributor
Contributor

Any info would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the community - I think you are either going to have move to 5.1 or apply the most recent patches - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
asoroudi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply, but that is exactly what I need to know. I need to know if there is a patch available that removes the vRAM licensing limitations for already installed vSphere 5.0 installations (ESXi 5.0 + vCenter 5.0).

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what I understood the vRAM entitlement will also be removed from vSphere 5.0. So you may need to wait for a patch.

André

0 Kudos
asoroudi
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone know if a patch has been released to remove the 192GB vRam hard limit from vCenter Essentials & 32GB hard limit per vSphere Essentials hosts CPU? We want to upgrade our 3 essentials hosts from 64GB to 96GB each.

- I know this has been removed for 5.1 essentials. I am asking about 5.0 essentials.

Thx.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The patch has not yet been released.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... & 32GB hard limit per vSphere Essentials hosts CPU?

Unless I missed something, there has never been a memory hard limit per CPU/socket in any paid edition. The only hard limit with Essentials 5.0 is the 192GB vRAM which is pooled by vCenter Server. You are free to upgrade the physical memory as you like. With 96GB per host you should even be fine with the 192GB limit, assuming you take a host failure into your disaster considerations.

André

0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

André Pett wrote:

... & 32GB hard limit per vSphere Essentials hosts CPU?

Unless I missed something, there has never been a memory hard limit per CPU/socket in any paid edition. The only hard limit with Essentials 5.0 is the 192GB vRAM which is pooled by vCenter Server. You are free to upgrade the physical memory as you like. With 96GB per host you should even be fine with the 192GB limit, assuming you take a host failure into your disaster considerations.

André

Yeah, maybe he's thinking of the 32GB RAM limit in ESXi Free edition?   :smileyconfused:

http://www.vladan.fr/esxi-5-1-free/

0 Kudos
asoroudi
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for the feedback; however, as you stated, there is a hard enforcement of the 192GB limit in vCenter (see release notes link below for 5.0, update 1 which we are on). We have three hosts, eaching needing to be upgraded to 96GB of RAM (288GB total); so that is basically why I started the post.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsp_vc50_u1_rel_notes.html

I need to know if there is a patch available (because there are no license number changes when I check on our vmware site) that removes the 192GB pool vRAM limit in vCenter essentials for 5.0, so we can upgrade the three hosts to 96GB of RAM for a total of 288GB pooled. I am really suprised no one else is requesting this.

Regarding vram per CPU entitlement : There is absolutley a limit of 32GB per CPU on the vSphere 5.0 essentials. Whether or not it is hard enforced, I am not sure.

Any info would be appreicated it. Thx.

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Sadly I also don't know the answer to this. Can you talk with the person that sold you those licenses? Maybe opening a support case with VMware as this "new" feature is not working in your enviroment with version 5.0 Smiley Happy

It's a good question. If you find the answer, please post it!!!

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos