VMware Cloud Community
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problems with login vcenter web interface 5.1

Guys,

What am I missing, I set up a new test vcenter virtual appliance version 5.1, I can login just fine using vsphere client and at the console, but the web interface refuses to allow me in with the same login details. What is going on with that single sign on? I really don't get it.

Could you guys please help me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nemith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran into this same issue.  5.1 with the lookup service is complely different than 5.0 so thats why the other posts are not work.

Here is what I did to fix the issue.  I turned on SSL certificate regeneration:

1. Browse to https://[IP]:5480 and log in
  2. Go to the Admin tab and press the 'Toggle certification setting' button until the 'Certificate regeneration enabled' shows yes
  3. Go the Network Tab and change the hostname.  This will trigger a SSL regeneration (or you can change the ip).  I am not sure if changing it from 'localhost' to something else helped, but it can't hurt.
  4. Reboot the box (System tab. Reboot button)

At this point you can watch the boot up messages from the console of the vcenter appliance.  You'll notice some messages about detecting a new hostname or IP and regenerating a new certificate.  You will also see all the services import new SSL ceritifcates as well.

At the end of the reboot I was able to log into the vCenter web client!

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you Authorized the vsphere Web client (Server) ?

What URL are you using to connect?

Can you provide the error message?

Can you post the realted messages located in /var/log/messages file  ?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I don't know what do you mean by authorize, but the server is not on a domain. I'm just trying to log into the web interface on https://192.168.111.5:9443/vsphere-client/ for example.

The error is about the crendential not valid, are you sure would help to get logs about a login error? for me there is simply other set of crendetials for the single sign on that I'm not aware.

0 Kudos
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

See section "Authorizing the vSphere Web Client (Server)"

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vmware-esx-and-vsphere-articles/general/gettin...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error vSphere Web Client administration tool cannot be accessed from a remote host.

How can I access a server locally? It is a linux appliance! I really don't get the point why this is happening 😕

0 Kudos
mrksiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

assuming that you have not changed the cerdential it would be "root" and "vmware"

Use this to authorize the server.

https://server_ip:9443/admin_app

If this helps answer your question please consider awarding points!
0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did, and look the message I've got on the previous message. It doesn't allow me to connect remotely

0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you guys tried a fresh install of the vcenter 5.1 appliance by any chance?

0 Kudos
hmus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Take a look at the end of this blog where you can register in the applicance through command

http://www.shogan.co.uk/vmware/getting-up-and-running-with-vsphere5-1-web-client/

"

If you are using the vCenter 5.0 appliance, then you’ll need to register these instances using the command-line on the appliance. Use the following script to register your vCenter instance:

/usr/lib/vmware-vsphere-client/scripts/admin-cmd.sh register https://[IP or FQDN of the Web Client]:[HTTPS Port Number]/vsphere-client [VC IP Address] [VC Admin username] [VC Admin password]

If you have any special characters in your password, don’t forget to enclose this in single quote marks ( ‘ ).

"

Hope this might help you

0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Running command register
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Xms16M -Xmx128M
An untrusted SSL certificate is installed on "192.168.111.5" and secure communication cannot be guaranteed. Depending on your security policy, this issue might not represent a security concern. You might need to install a trusted SSL certificate on your vCenter Server to prevent this warning from appearing.
The SHA1 thumbprint of the certificate is:
C4:79:05:C0:79:4C:67:70:42:20:BF:6E:D7:FD:6C:93:24:8F:65:B2.
Enter 'A' to accept and install the certificate to avoid any security warnings for this server in future.
Enter 'C' to cancel the operation.
a
The vSphere Web Client Administration Tool only supports registration of vCenter Server version 5.0.  For newer versions, the vCenter Server system must be registered with the Lookup Service to allow the vSphere Web Client to discover the system.
localhost:~ #
0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I really don't understand how this is happening, how difficult is to register a vcenter if you simply can't even access the panel to do this?

So frustrated!

0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I can't register the authorize the vcenter from a remote machine and I can't run manually the command to register it. How the hell am I supposed to use the web interface then? There is no damn documentation about this. How frustrating!

0 Kudos
nemith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran into this same issue.  5.1 with the lookup service is complely different than 5.0 so thats why the other posts are not work.

Here is what I did to fix the issue.  I turned on SSL certificate regeneration:

1. Browse to https://[IP]:5480 and log in
  2. Go to the Admin tab and press the 'Toggle certification setting' button until the 'Certificate regeneration enabled' shows yes
  3. Go the Network Tab and change the hostname.  This will trigger a SSL regeneration (or you can change the ip).  I am not sure if changing it from 'localhost' to something else helped, but it can't hurt.
  4. Reboot the box (System tab. Reboot button)

At this point you can watch the boot up messages from the console of the vcenter appliance.  You'll notice some messages about detecting a new hostname or IP and regenerating a new certificate.  You will also see all the services import new SSL ceritifcates as well.

At the end of the reboot I was able to log into the vCenter web client!

HTH

0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mate, you nailed it!

I really appreciate your help!!

Just an observation, you guys need to give vcenter some time to start the web client becuase you will be able to connect back using the vphere client but the web client will take some 5-10 minutes to load properly after these steps.

Working fine :smileygrin:

0 Kudos