VMware Communities
RadianseSteven
Contributor
Contributor

SSL causing General System Error at Summary Screen

Hi everyone,

My work is having me convert some worker PCs and servers into VM to store in our cloud, but I've run into an issue and I think it has something to do with SSL. I have a PC, called PC1, that needs to be turned into a VM. This desktop is sitting on the other side of the building. I'm trying to use VMWare vCenter Standalone Client to convert it into a VM using the source type of "Powered-on Machine" and converting it remotely. After I type in the User Name and Password and click Next, I receive the following window.

SSL Error during Conversion.PNG

I am able to continue through the windows with no errors or warnings after selecting Ignore. Once I'm at the Summary page and everything has been adjusted to my liking, I submit the task. After vCenter submits the job, I receive the following message at the top of the window.

General System Error Caused by SSL.PNG

I've determined that the SSL issue could be the only thing able to cause this error. To test this theory, I remoted to PC1, installed a copy of VMWare vCenter Standalone Client, started a conversion selecting Local Machine, and I was able to start the conversion process from that machine. Normally, I would just do it this way since it works, but this error comes up with almost every PC or server I try, and I would prefer not to have to install VMWare vCenter on every machine I need to virtualize.

I've also attached my logs for review. It would be a HUGE help if someone could walk me through what I need to do and how to fix this error.

PS: I've also gone into converter-worker.xml and changed <useSsl> to false. Still didn't work.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RadianseSteven
Contributor
Contributor

I just realized that I posted this in VM Workstation instead of vCenter. I tried changing it but it said I don't have permission to view that community. I'm new to this so I'm still getting used to the forums and such. Even though this post is in the wrong section, if anyone could help, that would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
RadianseSteven
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: I've solved this issue! It turns out the company's DNS configuration was incorrect, which was giving out our public DNS server IP address to all of our DHCP users as well as the internal users. This causes the SSL certificate mismatch because at times, DNS would resolve the computer name, and other times, it would not.

0 Kudos
RadianseSteven
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: I've solved this issue! It turns out the company's DNS configuration was incorrect, which was giving out our public DNS server IP address to all of our DHCP users as well as the internal users. This causes the SSL certificate mismatch because at times, DNS would resolve the computer name, and other times, it would not.

0 Kudos