VMware Communities
glenikins
Contributor
Contributor

Adding a virtual printer to Windows XP VM

Hi there,

Note - this is a completely different query to the one I've just posted about Windows NT!

I have a Windows 7 PC with three virtual machines, one running Windows 2000 Pro, one running Windows XP Pro and one running Windows NT Workstation 4.0.  I am looking to add a virtual printer to all three of these machines so that they can access a network printer that my Windows 7 PC has access to.  For the Windows 2000 and Windows NT machines, I can see an option to add a printer in the VMware Player "virtual machine settings" facility.  However, this option does not exist for the Windows XP machine, and I don't understand why.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kanja13
Contributor
Contributor

Hey!

Did you find solution to this? I have same problem: virtual printer option does not exist (Win XP host and guest). Tools installed.

Any reply would be nice.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
glenikins
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, no I never got it working, I gave up eventually.  Sorry I can't be any more help.

If you ever figure it out, I'd love to know how.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Kanja13 wrote: I have same problem: virtual printer option does not exist (Win XP host and guest). Tools installed.

What version of VMware Player?  I just checked a Windows XP and Windows 7 Host that has VMware Player 6.0.2 installed and in both I see "Printer" in "Add Hardware Wizard" in the VM's settings.  I can also delete the existing Printer and add it back.

0 Kudos
IReallTryhard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using 6.0.3 and it is finding (and lists) the Host printer OK. One thing I did notice is that the printer (Samsung w2525) throws up a message box about an "OK" to send stuff to Samsung. Unfortunately it does not bring it to the to the top, so it is hidden under the XP Guest display. I noticed an icon pop up on the Host Task Bar and that alerted me to the issue. Once I went (Alt-Tab)  back to the Host and responded with the "No" option, the thing now prints OK.

Not sure if that helps or not. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos