VMware Horizon Community
Andrew_Keller_C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PCOIP Session Disconnects after 15 minutes

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-17799

I have about 50 clients that all disconnect from their PCOIP session after 15 minutes. It will disconnect regardless if they are actively using the mouse/keyboard or not. In windows Application log, I receive a VMware View Event 102 stating

"Pending portal logon timed out for user DOMAIN\User, wssm may have failed to start correctly, or the user was not able to connect and log in. Pending count left=0"

I have checked the following VMware DOC (http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-17799) and the Userinit registry key is correctly set. I also verified that the WSSM process is started. So the key is functioning correctly as well.

If I restart the WSSM.EXE process, the problem is delayed for a few hours, but then comes back and disconnects users after 15 minutes again. Having to restart this process on each of these VMs is getting to be a pain.

I have tried changing the Connection Ticket Timeout setting in the GPO ADM template, but the max setting is 900 seconds (15 minutes). I know that I can change the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Agent\Configuration\VdmConnectionTicketTimeout" directly, but I don’t want to work around the problem - I would like to fix it.

From my understanding, the user gets a valid ticket upon connection, 15 minutes later the ticket expires and the user is disconnected, then the user immediately reconnects and the cycle repeats. I assume the ticket it supposed to get a new ticket sometime in that 15 minute window, but for some reason is not.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

take a look at your PCOIP logs and see if you can determine what the disconnect code is.  You can cross reference here to see why it's disconnecting.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2012101

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

R U certain that the key:   HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

has the "Userinit" with the data of:  C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Agent\bin\wssm.exe",

?

I'm sure u check it a million times already.

LB

0 Kudos
Andrew_Keller_C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep. Double checked the key again, it is exactly as you posted.

Wouldn't the wssm.exe process not be running if that key was incorrect?

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It could be running if it's being called from somewhere else.   I saw in that DOC file posted about that they have  it being called from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

By chance, it's not being called from there is it?

Larry B.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Keller_C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, It is not referenced in the Run key.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

And u are using SSO to log in to the desktops.

Larry

0 Kudos
Andrew_Keller_C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe so. That is where the user types their username/password into the zero client and it "fowards" it on to Windows so they dont have to login in again, correct?

If that is correct, then yes - we are using SSO.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can u look at the log files located @:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\logs

They will be named: log-2012-08-xx.txt

Look for any info regarding the disconnects and post.

Thanks,

Larry B.

Andrew_Keller_C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whole file attached, relevent portion inserted below.

Replaced workstation name with HOSTNAME.FQDN and domain\username with DOMAIN\username for privacy reasons.

12:51:34,135 INFO  <1260> [wsnm] Log for VMware View Agent, version=5.0.0 build-481677
12:51:34,135 INFO  <1260> [wsnm] hostname=HOSTNAME.FQDN
12:51:34,135 INFO  <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [wsnm_desktop] DisconnectSession for session 0 FAILED, error 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
12:51:35,604 INFO  <5744> [pcoip_server_win32] Program 'pcoip_server_win32 - PCoIP Server' started, version=3,8,0,9606:soft_pcoip_rc_3_8, pid=4508, buildtype=release, usethread=0, closeafterwrite=0
12:51:36,354 INFO  <5680> [MessageFrameWork] Program 'wssm - VMware View Framework Session Manager' started, version=5.0.0 build-481677, pid=4192, buildtype=release, usethread=1, closeafterwrite=0
13:06:35,744 WARN  <TimerService> [wsnm_desktop] Pending portal logon timed out for user DOMAIN\username, wssm may have failed to start correctly, or the user was not able to connect and log in. Pending count left=0
13:06:36,947 WARN  <TimerService> [wsnm_desktop] Closed PCoIP connection doesn't match global value
13:06:52,789 INFO  <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [wsnm_desktop] DisconnectSession for session 0 FAILED, error 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
13:06:54,992 INFO  <5240> [pcoip_server_win32] Program 'pcoip_server_win32 - PCoIP Server' started, version=3,8,0,9606:soft_pcoip_rc_3_8, pid=5428, buildtype=release, usethread=0, closeafterwrite=0
13:06:55,945 INFO  <5688> [MessageFrameWork] Program 'wssm - VMware View Framework Session Manager' started, version=5.0.0 build-481677, pid=3544, buildtype=release, usethread=1, closeafterwrite=0
13:21:55,200 WARN  <TimerService> [wsnm_desktop] Pending portal logon timed out for user DOMAIN\username, wssm may have failed to start correctly, or the user was not able to connect and log in. Pending count left=0
13:21:56,404 WARN  <TimerService> [wsnm_desktop] Closed PCoIP connection doesn't match global valueINFO  <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [wsnm_desktop] DisconnectSession for session 0 FAILED, error 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
13:23:37,413 INFO  <2436> [pcoip_server_win32] Program 'pcoip_server_win32 - PCoIP Server' started, version=3,8,0,9606:soft_pcoip_rc_3_8, pid=388, buildtype=release, usethread=0, closeafterwrite=0
13:23:38,477 INFO  <5120> [MessageFrameWork] Program 'wssm - VMware View Framework Session Manager' started, version=5.0.0 build-481677, pid=4748, buildtype=release, usethread=1, closeafterwrite=0

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

By any chance, r u'r clients logging in through the secure gateway (Usally Externally) or are they using the connection server?

Larry B.

0 Kudos
Arindrew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Use PCoIP Secure Gateway for PCoIP connections to desktop" and "Use secure tunnel connection to desktop" are both unchecked.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

take a look at your PCOIP logs and see if you can determine what the disconnect code is.  You can cross reference here to see why it's disconnecting.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2012101

0 Kudos
Andrew_Keller_C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the pcoip_server_ log I am getting the following error:

SERVER: map_agent_to_tera: DISCONNECT_GENERIC -> TERA_DISCONNECT_CAUSE_HOST_BROKER_GENERIC

which quates to:

"PCoIP connection not established because of cancellation. This should not occur. Contact Teradici support."

So, I guess I know where I am going next.

Thanks for your help everyone!

0 Kudos