VMware Cloud Community
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SNMP not responding

We have a problem with a couple of ESXi hosts that don't respond on SNMP.

They are clean installed ESXi 5.0 build 768111

Hardware:

Dell R910 (no Dell VIB installed, doesnt work with or without).

Standard config of SNMP via VMware CLI:

VMware vSphere CLI>vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa -c public

Changing community list to: public...
Complete.

VMware vSphere CLI>vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --enable
Enabling agent...
Complete.

Firewall is open. Request come in but there is a high number on the Recieve Queue when checking "netstat" for SNMP (port 161)

# esxcli network ip connection list

Proto  Recv Q  Send Q  Local Address       Foreign Address    State        World ID  World Name

-----  ------  ------  ------------------  -----------------  -----------  --------  ---------------

tcp         0       0  127.0.0.1:8307      127.0.0.1:52518    ESTABLISHED     20681  hostd-worker

tcp         0       0  127.0.0.1:52518     127.0.0.1:8307     ESTABLISHED     20882  hostd-worker

tcp         0       0  127.0.0.1:443       127.0.0.1:60453    ESTABLISHED     20175  hostd-worker

udp     17967       0  0.0.0.0:161         0.0.0.0:0                           20178  hostd-worker

We have restarted management agents, reset snmp config, reinstalled the servers but a couple of them will not work and get his queue.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you run and post the results of the --show command;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --show

You should see something like this;

===============================

Current SNMP agent settings:
Enabled  : 1
UDP port : 161

Communities :
public
anothercommunity

Notification targets :
mysnmptarget1.fqdn@162/public
mysnmptarget2.fqdn@162/anothercommunity

Options :
EnvEventSource=sensors

I have found that the --enable command creates another firewall rule called "dynamicbinding" even though SNMP is already created by deault on a clean insall of ESXi 5.0 (I would role this back and use PowerCLI to enable it).

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --disable

## Enable SNMP using PowerCLI (connect to host, not vCenter)
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -Enabled:$true

## Add Communities
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -ReadOnlyCommunity public,anothercommunity

## Add a Targets
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -TargetCommunity "public" -TargetHost "mysnmptarget1.fqdn" -TargetPort 162 -AddTarget
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -TargetCommunity "anothercommunity" -TargetHost "mysnmptarget2.fqdn" -TargetPort 162 -AddTarget

Additionally on the DELL hardware, I have found that in order for the traps to be translated correctly the "EnvEventSource" needs to be changed from indications to sensors.

This will change it;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --hwsrc sensors

Then you can send a test trap;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --test

Cheers,

Jon

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you run and post the results of the --show command;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --show

You should see something like this;

Communities :
public
anothercommunity

Notification targets :
mysnmptarget1.fqdn@162/public
mysnmptarget2.fqdn@162/anothercommunity

Options :
EnvEventSource=sensors

I have found that the --enable command creates another firewall rule called "dynamicbinding" even though SNMP is already created by deault on a clean insall of ESXi 5.0 (I would role this back and use PowerCLI to enable it).

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --disable

## Enable SNMP using PowerCLI (connect to host, not vCenter)
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -Enabled:$true

## Add Communities
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -ReadOnlyCommunity public,anothercommunity

## Add a Targets
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -TargetCommunity "public" -TargetHost "mysnmptarget1.fqdn" -TargetPort 162 -AddTarget
Get-VMHostSnmp | Set-VMHostSnmp -TargetCommunity "anothercommunity" -TargetHost "mysnmptarget2.fqdn" -TargetPort 162 -AddTarget

Additionally on the DELL hardware, I have found that in order for the traps to be translated correctly the "EnvEventSource" needs to be changed from indications to sensors.

This will change it;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --hwsrc sensors

Then you can send a test trap;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server esx01 --username root --password aaaaaaaaaaaa --test

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanx for the tips. It seems --hwsrc sensors did the trick. After changing to that the queuing went away and I can snmpwalk and get a response. For some reason on two of our ten Dell R910 we need to use "sensors". On the others "indications" work by default.

I'll test to install the Dell OMSA Agent VIB now ( OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.1.0-5304.VIB-ESX50i_A00.zip ) and see if it holds up.

We use SNMP to check the network cards uplink status and then a Nagios script ( http://www.claudiokuenzler.com/nagios-plugins/check_esxi_hardware.php ) to get hardware status.

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Good news.  I understand that changing it to from "indications" to "sensors" uses IPMI instead of CIM, so perhaps there is a subtle configuration difference in your iDRAC's? If you have the time, it would probably be worth exporting the two configurations to XML for comparison?

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After the Dell OMSA VIB install the problem came back. Both for sensors and indications. Will test more tomorrow.

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Are the results of the --show command what you would expect? Are you using the Dell VC plugin? I found that the Dell VC plugin replaced all my SNMP configuration with a default config sending traps to the plugin instead of OME ... After reconfiguring SNMP on each host it worked again.

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No vCenter plugin from Dell.

This is the show command:

Communities :
public

Notification targets :

Options :
EnvEventSource=sensors
We dont use traps at the moment, just get requests from Nagios. It seems the Dell OMSA plugin mess something up since EnvEventSource=sensors worked on a clean ESXi install. Will try and install version 7.0 instead of 7.1 of OMSA.
0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reinstalled one of the servers again. It seems it's already when we add the network drivers for our Emulex 10Gbit NICs that SNMP start acting up. This is before we install any Dell VIB. Will test some more.

0 Kudos