VMware Cloud Community
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses

vSphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses of other hosts, and HA may not be able to restart VMs if a host failure occurs

how to resolve thsi issue

Tags (1)
19 Replies
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen this a few times:

1) Put in Maintenance mode

2) Move out of cluster (removes HA client)

3) Reboot (not sure if needed, but why not)

4) Move back into cluster.

That's assuming you've chased down any other possibilities of routing, dns, firewalls (shouldn't be any) cables, etc.

There are also KBs on how to manually uninstall and re-install the HA agent.... hope you don't have to go there!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already double check the network settings? Are the hosts running in the same subnet?

You can also try to right click the host in the inventory and run "Reconfigure for HA" to see whether this solves the issue.

André

iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hosts are running same Subnet mask and same Vlan i have reconfigured HA agent .But i have two hosts in cluster when reconfigureon first  host that warning error is going from second host ,when i reconfigure on second host that error warning is going away from first host. 

0 Kudos
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a DNS issue, with those hosts, which were having issues with HA.

As HA is linked to DNS, within ESXi5.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

when i tried to Vmotion VMs saying an error

The vMotion migrations failed because the ESX hosts were not able to connect over the vMotion network.  Check the vMotion network settings and physical network configuration.

when i check all the settings were fine do not what to do

0 Kudos
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

when i tried to Vmotion VMs saying an error

The vMotion migrations failed because the ESX hosts were not able to connect over the vMotion network.  Check the vMotion network settings and physical network configuration.

when i check all the settings were fine do not know  what to do

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many hosts in your cluster?

Is your faulting host able to talk to any of the others?

Can you vMotion to a different host?

In my situation, one host couldn't talk to 3 or 4 of the 7 hosts in the cluster but I was still able to vMotion.

Otherwise kind of a Catch 22 - You need to put in Maintenance mode to fix vMotion, but you have to vMotion to put it in Maintenance mode.

Would turning off HA or DRS on the cluster help?

0 Kudos
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have hosts in a cluster If HA and DRA turn off will Vmotion will work ?

both esx were not communicationg Over Vmotion network ! restarting management agents will work ?

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, vMotion "should" still work with HA and DRS turned off ... if everything else were healthy.

You can restart the mgmt agents without affecting the guests, couldn't hurt.

.. did you also try what Andre mentioned - "Reconfigure for HA" ?

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

like alreasy said check net settings I had similar issue and it was incorrect Net Mask...

0 Kudos
Virtual_Stumble
Contributor
Contributor

This is a little after the original discussion, however it may well help someone in the future...

In our case we experienced this issue after a Greenfield install of vSphere 5.1 & VSA 5.1.1.

On two of the three hosts (the hosts assigned for VSA) the summary showed the alert...

"Configuration Issues

The vSphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses of the other hosts...."

It then gave the FQDN of one of the hosts and an IPv6 Address

haerror.JPG

I had planned the install around IPv4 rather than IPv6 so figured that perhaps turning off IPv6 might cure the issue, as reviewing the switch setup I could also see an IPv6 network address for the Management Network that I hadn't specified during the installation.

On each of the Hosts I went to the "Configuration" tab, "Networking", "Properties", "Edit Management Network", "IP Settings". I started by checking that I had setup an IPv4 address then ticked "No IPv6 Settings".

On the HA cluster I then un-ticked "Turn on vSphere HA", let it go through in the Recent Tasks pane, then turned it back on. This resolved the issue for us.

0 Kudos
Roleximc
Contributor
Contributor

André's recommendation solved the issue in my case.

"Reconfigure for HA"

Nomecks
Contributor
Contributor

Since this is still the top post on Google, here's how I fixed this:

The vSwitch with the VMkernel management port was not configured correctly to communicate with the physical switch. I have a 2 port trunk created on the switch, and I had to set the management port to use IP hash based routing, rather than the default "orignal port". If you're trunking ports, make sure you have the teaming and failover configured correctly.

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Please monitor for few days may  be again this error will occur .

Kindly check any of  the esxi host management network has network issue # packet drops .  if there is more packet loss then this issue will reoccur .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
marrosen
Contributor
Contributor

I know what I did wrong:   I shut down a host in my cluster without first putting it in maintenance mode.  All other hosts in the cluster complained with the same warnng:

vSphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses

The host that I shut down was long gone ; I couldn't add it back to the cluster.   I did as suggsted above:

I stopped HA for the cluster.

I started HA for the cluster.

My cluster configuration settings were maintained; there was no need for me to configure anything else.

All of the hosts in the cluster cleared the warning message.

0 Kudos
Wintel_Soldier
Contributor
Contributor

This solved the problem by selecting"reconfigure ha agent"

0 Kudos
Mandavia
Contributor
Contributor

1. Select the host,

2. Click on configure tab

3. Scroll and select Security Profile

4. Scroll down and click edit on Services

5. Select vSphere High availability Agent and click on restart then click ok

6. Click edit on services again

7. Select VMware vCenter Agent and click on restart

Should fix the issue.

pmetzger77
Contributor
Contributor

As I was reading through all of these responses, I didn't see... and maybe I missed... the obvious starting place... so if I missed it I apologize and if not here it is.

I had the same issue, I simply went to the host, found the HA service and restarted it. Problem went away.

Worst case, you still have the problem... best case it fixes the issue quickly.

0 Kudos
Pmario
Contributor
Contributor

This fixed it for me.. that host was upgraded with a new motherboard and had just moved the VMs back in this week the day after I had that message. just saying what happened before i got the message.

0 Kudos