0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 4:38 AM by Nuggetron

Windows XP Mode setup fails on Windows 7 Pro

Nuggetron Novice

Hi,

I tried setting Windows XP Mode up (clean install) in Windows 7 as I have previously done with old versions of VMWare Player. The import fails to complete and no VM appears in the library. However, a VM is created in my user area and starting starts Windows XP Mode. This happens when using the VMWare Player from the Tech Preview and also VMWare Workstation. I let VMWare install the relevant Converter App automatically.

This happens with the June and July 2012 tech preview running Windows directly or through Fusion 2012 TP

Hardware:

2010 MacBook Pro 15"

Intel i7 620

GeForce GT 330M

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit running directly and through Fusion 4/Tech Preview July 2012

Once started, the mouse does not work at all in the guest VM (even after a tools install) and shutting the VM down produces a black screen but no shutdown where I manually have to select Power off or Reset. I continued using the keyboard through the setup process and it yielded a booting Windows XP VM with no mouse and the same black screen.

I found a workaround - remove the Virtual PC Integration Components. This allowed the mouse to work and I seem to have a fully working XP Mode VM now.