VMware Cloud Community
peman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade VMware Tools in ESXi

Hello

I cant find how to update vmware tools in ESXi 4.0 to latest, or is it automatically upgrading itself to latest version? I mean not for the guest OS but for ESXi. So when I install VMware Tools on a new guest OS I will get the latest VMware Tools.

Thanks

/Martin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to update your ESXi host, usually new updates comes with its own updated VMware Tools. Use update manager to update/patch your ESXi hosts. Once the host is updated/upgraded the VMware Tools in the VMs will also have the option to update to the latest version.

Hope this information is useful

Nikhil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to update your ESXi host, usually new updates comes with its own updated VMware Tools. Use update manager to update/patch your ESXi hosts. Once the host is updated/upgraded the VMware Tools in the VMs will also have the option to update to the latest version.

Hope this information is useful

Nikhil

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Communities..

I cant find how to update vmware tools in ESXi 4.0 to latest

VMware tools is applicable only for the guest OS and NOT for the ESX/ESXIi host..

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
peman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you,

I downloaded VMware vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1a and modules for Enterprise. (I dont know which version we have, if it´s standard or enterprise and so on, does it matter?) Can i just install VMware tools from the ISO or i have to upgrade from 4 to 5 as Nikhil Patwa said?

0 Kudos