VMware Horizon Community
getut
Contributor
Contributor

TA Lotus Notes 8.5.3 + Local Office 2003 attachment = reactivation

I have just rolled out a new Lotus Notes 8.5.3 thinapp and my machines mainly have MS Office 2003 locally installed. Office 2003 was rolled out via msi from an administrative install applied via group policy in our environment.

When my users attempt to open an Office attachment, it is triggering the msi installer, says "intalling" and eventually the first open personalization in Office 2003 pops, but it is also acting like it is partially re-activating, because the personalization box contains our installation key and asks users to confirm.

This process takes quite a few minutes and my users are cancelling at the msi installer dialog and it seems if it isn't allowed to complete the first time through, then it CAN'T complete after that. The thinapp cache has to be deleted before the process will run properly and complete again.

I'm in a loop because I can't get my Lotus Notes thinapp to start up completely when I'm running the thinapp log monitor.

Please help me.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Please have a look at this blog post explaining integrating IE ThinApp with local office.

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/01/locally-installed-applications-and-integration-with-virtuali...

You may follow the same steps and add the below changes to the package.ini. Rebuild (by running build.bat), test the ThinApp and post the results.

VirtualizeExternalOutOfProcessCOM=0
ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=WINWORD.EXE;EXCEL.EXE;POWERPNT.EXE;OUTLOOK.EXE;MOC.EXE
ChildProcessEnvironmentDefault=Virtual

getut
Contributor
Contributor

Lakshman, thanks for the heads up. You have gotten me going in the correct direction, but I'm having issues although less critical now.

The performance of the Thinapp is OK in Windows XP, but horrendous in Windows 7. It runs but it acts sometimes like the processor is bogged down and other times like the network is swamped, but a local install goes just fine.

If anyone feels this is a separate issue that needs to be in a separate thread let me know and I'll start one.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Are you streaming the ThinApp from a server or network share?

What version of ThinApp used for packaging?

0 Kudos
getut
Contributor
Contributor

No, the thinapp is on the users hard drive, and I am using 4.7.1 for packaging.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

I see you mentioned that the local install works fine?

0 Kudos
getut
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.. no slow down on the same system on the same network line when it is a local install.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Ok. I have confused with local install as ThinApp local install.

What is the location of sandbox? Is it local (%appdata%\Thinstall\) or somewhere on the network?

0 Kudos
getut
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry... I am using a "local install" to mean a non-virtualized install... As in no Thinapp.

My thinapp is local to the users hard drive, not streamed. So both are local in that sense. Should I use different terminology?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

The term native install is used to refer non-virtualized install.

What is the location of sandbox? %appdata%\Thinstall or somewhere on the network?

0 Kudos
getut
Contributor
Contributor

The sandbox is located on c:\temp\ThinappCache\LN8.5.3FP1.

Also one more clarification that may be of interest... my extremely slow windows 7 machines are all 64 bit, the XP machines are 32 bit.

0 Kudos