VMware Cloud Community
BillStirling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot get SRM info

We have a installation which was vShere 4.1 and SRM 4.1.

We installed Usage Meter 2.3.0 and it worked OK (No SRM info as SRM 4.x not supported).

We upgraded to vSphere 5 and SRM 5 and added the two SRM servers to the Usage meter but it refuses to collect the SRM data.

Normal data on VMs is collected OK and it will produce manual reports fine but the automatic reports it sends out are blank.

I have just updated to usage meter 2.3.2 Build 692054 to see if that cures things.

Will need to wait 'till tomorrow to see what the Automatic Reports send but SRM is still no-go

the um.log for a SRM collection shows:

2012-07-26 13:13:36,292 ERROR [SRM collection] srm.SrmCollector$: An SRM collection from srmserver1.domain.local, begun at 2012-07-26 13:13:34, failed at 2012-07-26 13:13:36.

AxisFault
faultCode: ServerFaultCode
faultSubcode:
faultString: The operation is not supported on the object.
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
        {urn:srm0}NotSupportedFault:null

The operation is not supported on the object.
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanDeserializer.<init>(BeanDeserializer.java:104)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanDeserializer.<init>(BeanDeserializer.java:90)
        at com.vmware.srm.NotSupported.getDeserializer(NotSupported.java:87)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BaseDeserializerFactory.getSpecialized(BaseDeserializerFactory.java:154)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BaseDeserializerFactory.getDeserializerAs(BaseDeserializerFactory.java:84)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.getDeserializer(DeserializationContext.java:464)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.getDeserializerForType(DeserializationContext.java:547)
        at org.apache.axis.message.SOAPFaultDetailsBuilder.onStartChild(SOAPFaultDetailsBuilder.java:157)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.startElement(DeserializationContext.java:1035)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:395)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.parse(DeserializationContext.java:227)
        at org.apache.axis.SOAPPart.getAsSOAPEnvelope(SOAPPart.java:696)
        at org.apache.axis.Message.getSOAPEnvelope(Message.java:435)
        at org.apache.axis.handlers.soap.MustUnderstandChecker.invoke(MustUnderstandChecker.java:62)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:206)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2784)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2767)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2443)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2366)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1812)
        at com.vmware.srm.SrmBindingStub.listAssociatedVms(SrmBindingStub.java:22202)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$.findProtectedVms$1(SrmCollector.scala:82)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$5.apply(SrmCollector.scala:88)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$5.apply(SrmCollector.scala:88)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$flatMap$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:200)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$flatMap$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:200)
        at scala.collection.IndexedSeqOptimized$class.foreach(IndexedSeqOptimized.scala:34)
        at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayOps.foreach(ArrayOps.scala:38)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.flatMap(TraversableLike.scala:200)
        at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayOps.flatMap(ArrayOps.scala:38)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$.findProtectedVms(SrmCollector.scala:88)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$processVmsForServer$1.apply$mcV$sp(SrmCollector.scala:46)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$processVmsForServer$1.apply(SrmCollector.scala:37)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$processVmsForServer$1.apply(SrmCollector.scala:37)
        at org.squeryl.dsl.QueryDsl$class.inTransaction(QueryDsl.scala:102)
        at org.squeryl.PrimitiveTypeMode$.inTransaction(PrimitiveTypeMode.scala:40)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$.processVmsForServer(SrmCollector.scala:37)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$collectAll$1$$anonfun$apply$mcV$sp$1.apply(SrmCollector.scala:29)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$collectAll$1$$anonfun$apply$mcV$sp$1.apply(SrmCollector.scala:28)
        at scala.collection.immutable.Stream.foreach(Stream.scala:291)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$collectAll$1.apply$mcV$sp(SrmCollector.scala:28)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$collectAll$1.apply(SrmCollector.scala:28)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$$anonfun$collectAll$1.apply(SrmCollector.scala:28)
        at org.squeryl.dsl.QueryDsl$class._using(QueryDsl.scala:46)
        at org.squeryl.dsl.QueryDsl$class._executeTransactionWithin(QueryDsl.scala:114)
        at org.squeryl.dsl.QueryDsl$class.transaction(QueryDsl.scala:78)
        at org.squeryl.PrimitiveTypeMode$.transaction(PrimitiveTypeMode.scala:40)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.srm.SrmCollector$.collectAll(SrmCollector.scala:27)
        at com.vmware.cloud.usgmtr.collect.CommonCollector$$anon$1.run(CommonCollector.scala:70)
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512)
        at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462)
2012-07-26 13:13:36,309  INFO [SRM collection] srm.SrmCollector$: Done

I tried removing the two SRM servers and re-adding them but if I check the "test before saving" I get a pop-up windows saying "null" and it does not save.  I can save them without testing but I assume that is the problem above (I did not add the SRMs originally).

Any pointers welcome.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sewert1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have exactly the same issue here and no clue why this happens. Any hints would be appreciated!

If we add the SRM Server with ne hostname only, we get an "unkown host exception". With the FQDN or IP we simply get null. Very strange behaviour.

0 Kudos
BillStirling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My upgrade to 2.3.2 did not prove any more sucessful so deployed a completely new upsage meter at 2.3.2 (rather than the upgraded one) but am getting the same results for SRM.

I have only tried FQDN for the SRM server but have tried different credentials (read-only account, domain admin and local admin on SRM) but it will not save if I tick the "test before saving".  If I do not tick the test before saving then it saves the settings but then fails when it tries to collect the data.

0 Kudos
sewert1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I filed a support request with vmware. If I get a resolution I will post it here.

0 Kudos
sewert1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware confirmed that SRM 5U1 is not compatible with UM 2.3. The upcoming release 3.0 will be supported.

BillStirling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update.

Looks like the Usage Meter is always behind the times in supporting the current products

Bill

0 Kudos
metalgear32
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

SRM 5.0.1 support was not added in Usage Meter 3.0. The documentation states that only 5.0 is supported at this time.

0 Kudos
sewert1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht.

Ich bin bis einschließlich 03.12.12 nicht im Haus. Nach meiner Rückkehr werde ich Ihre E-Mail schnellstmöglich beantworten. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Ihre E-Mail nicht automatisch weitergeleitet und/oder bearbeitet wird. In dringenden Fällen wenden Sie sich bitte an den User Help Desk (Tel.: +49 (0)208 494 383 oder mailto:uhd@sds-bs.de)

---

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am out of the office until 12/04/2012. I will reply to your e-mail as soon as possible on my return. Please note that this e-mail will not be forwarded and/or processed automatically. In urgent cases please contact User Help Desk (Tel.: +49 (0)208 494 383 or mailto:uhd@sds-bs.de)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Sascha Ewert

System Engineer

sds business services GmbH

A Xerox Company

Stinnes-Platz 1

D-45472 Mülheim an der Ruhr

Tel.: +49 208 494-7578

Fax.: +49 208 49492-7578

sascha.ewert@sds-bs.de<mailto:sascha.ewert@sds-bs.de>

sds business services GmbH

Stinnes-Platz 1