2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2012 6:22 AM by EdP

Latest Beta - VMWare Tools Lubuntu Crash at end

EdP Hot Shot

The installation of VMware Tools went well right up to the very last minute after restarting the internet when everything froze.

Lubuntu threw a fit and I had to do a forced shutdown. On reboot Ubuntu reported that the  gnome-settings-daemon had crashed. I suspect that the actual cause was due to my use of accelerated Compiz and the impact of reinstalling 'tools and changing the graphics driver setup.

[EDIT] As it happens a kernel update came along so I had to reinstall 'tools. The same thing happened, but this time I was a little more alert and noticed it before closing the terminal session, and I was able to issue a shutdown -r now which was excuted without an issue. However the loss of the gui could be a problem for people unfamiliar with switching to a non-gui fallback.

The buggy Ubuntu/Gnome daemon error came up once more on reboot.

• 1. Re: Latest Beta - VMWare Tools Lubuntu Crash at end
          stiger Enthusiast

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this problem. I tried to reproduce the crash based on the provided information, but was not able to reproduce the issue.

Could you provide more information, please:

1. Host OS

2. All steps you've done in more details (step-by-step)

3. All log files and core dump

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Latest Beta - VMWare Tools Lubuntu Crash at end
            EdP Hot Shot

Sorry for the late response, just to clarify, it was not a VMWare crash, however the probability is that the Tools recompilation triggered something within the (somewhat buggy) Gnome 3 system.

Addressing your questions:

a) The host is Windows 7 (8GB memory)

b) Guest is a modified Lubuntu installation, as I intensely dislike both Unity and the default Gnome 3. I therefore have a desktop consisting of LXDF+Gnome 3 Extensions+Compiz+Cairo Dock

c) The VMware tools upgrade was conducted from a terminal session within the above desktop framework. I have previously installed new versions of tools with previous Linux kernel changes without triggering a problem.

d) The last two occasions the installation went through without issue up until the point I restarted the network. At this point Cairo Dock disappeared and only input to the terminal session continued to work (I was therefore able to do a standard shutdown -r ) On the previous occasion I closed the terminal before noticing the absence of the Cairo Dock panel and had to fall back to opening a new session.

e) On reboot I received the Gnome daemon error message the crash log for this is attached.

[EDIT] Looking at the crash log I see I should probably have blamed glib, as the power manager ought (?) to be out of the picture, and compiz+cairo almost certainly use glib.