VMware Cloud Community
AlexanderNaboki
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter and Windows Server 2012 (Server 8)

Hi,

I just installed vmware vCenter Server on Windows Server 2012 but Vmware services not started so I cannot connect to the vcenter via vClient.

When I try to start VMware services manually I get an error "Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."

Please help

Thanks,

20 Replies
AlexanderNaboki
Contributor
Contributor

Using Windows server 2012 Datacenter RC build 8400

0 Kudos
Edvisors
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same problem so a resolution would be appreciated. It seems as though this is a result of the "ProtectedStorage" service becoming deprecated in Windows 8, so I don't know if there would be a work around short of a vendor patch.

0 Kudos
GheeSeong
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, if your vCenter is version 5 can u try to use vCenter 5 Update 1 to test..

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

vCenter is not supported on Windows 2012, use a supported os or wait until vCenter is supported on Windows 2012.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Compboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Remove the "ProtectedStorage" as dependcy in the registry, and vcenter wil start fine.

You can find it in :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd

in DependOnService you can remove the ProtectedStorage

after reboot it works fine.

daemon8814
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone tried vCenter 5.1 on Windows Server 2012 RTM?  Any luck?

0 Kudos
tdogg1
Contributor
Contributor

I have Win 2012 build 9200 and I can load and run the vCenter 5.1 installer but I get .net issues half way through the "simple install" and have to close.  Has anyone got this working?

0 Kudos
daemon8814
Contributor
Contributor

Go into server manager and add the .net 3.5 feature.

0 Kudos
dpeterson
Contributor
Contributor

I second what Compboy said; remove the ProtectedStorage dependency and it will start.  I did the same thing.  I've also run into an issue with using SQL 2012; vSphere does not recognize the DSN and I was forced to install SQL express.  I even tried installing the SQL 2008 client connectivity tools and using the older driver for the DSN but that didn't work either.

0 Kudos
daemon8814
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I can verify that the workaround does indeed work with 2012 RTM. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
DEVAXTATOR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

installing .net 3.5 via cmd

mount the iso or put the dvd on the drive

just do this start screen type cmd then right button click bellow appears run as administrator

type

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:D:\sources\sxs /all

d: is my drive change to suit yours

it works fine

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

ProtectedStorage is a dependancy for most applications using .NetFramework in Windows 2012. A simple workaround is to remove the dependancy which will not affect your production application any way unless you have clustering features unabled for this application.

Browse to vCenter installed location in command prompt and run the below commands, also you can do the same by removing it from registry after taking a backup.

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\sc config vpxd depend= “ ”

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\sc vpxd start

After this, you may see, the service may take some time to start, be patient!

Thanks

Ramesh. Geddam

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
utopian20111014
Contributor
Contributor

the service dependency registy fix sorted it for me

Thanks

0 Kudos
systemworx
Contributor
Contributor

the registry trick did it for me too, after a reboot...!

thank you.

0 Kudos
nieman426
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much. Did the trick.

0 Kudos
pseudoyams
Contributor
Contributor

I realize this is old, but it also sorted this out for me running vCenter 5.5u1 on Server 2012 R2 after upgrading from 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is due to race between vCenter server and dependent services.

0 Kudos
AgostMX
Contributor
Contributor

Hola, visita mi blog te sorprenderas Blog Comunity

0 Kudos
sadiq1435
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I am running vCenter Server 6 Beta on Windows 2012 server  but i had to update the windows using windows update . Now its running fine and all the services start normally .

Regards

Mohammed Sadiq

0 Kudos