14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2018 8:08 PM by neyla12

VSA cleanup.bat user password???

GetzVM Novice

Hi there,

I tried my hand at installing VSA, didn't do too bad but haven't got it working.....yet. Thats ok I thought I would remove VSA and start again but the cleanup.bat file wont accept my credentials. I have followed this tutorial http://www.valcolabs.com/2011/11/01/deleting-a-vsphere-storage-appliance-vsa-cluster/ .I have modified the file to point to where Java.exe exists and I have entered my vCenter logon credentials after cleanup.bat in command but I keep getting an error telling me I have incorrect password or username.

If I can't use the cleanup.bat file I am thinking I will have to remove vCenter server from Win2008R2 and start again with a fresh install of vCenter.

Cheers.

• 1. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
          Enthusiast

GetzVM wrote:

Hi there,

I tried my hand at installing VSA, didn't do too bad but haven't got it working.....yet. Thats ok I thought I would remove VSA and start again but the cleanup.bat file wont accept my credentials. I have followed this tutorial http://www.valcolabs.com/2011/11/01/deleting-a-vsphere-storage-appliance-vsa-cluster/ .I have modified the file to point to where Java.exe exists and I have entered my vCenter logon credentials after cleanup.bat in command but I keep getting an error telling me I have incorrect password or username.

If I can't use the cleanup.bat file I am thinking I will have to remove vCenter server from Win2008R2 and start again with a fresh install of vCenter.

Cheers.

The username and password is of an administrator account in vCenter Server.

Please make sure you have administrative privileges into VC.

• 2. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
            HaroldGig Hot Shot
            VMware Employees

the username should be a user with administrator credentials on the VC server.  Please check VC and verify that the user you are using is an admin.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsa.doc_10%2FGUID-0A3E6ACD-E548-433E-8430-904692FD0A46.html

• 3. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
              GetzVM Novice

thanks for the prompt reply. i log into vcenter with only one user Administrator. these are the credentials im using with cleanup.bat.

• 4. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                Enthusiast

If the user has administrative privileges then it should work.

Just in case you want to try cleanup VSA cluster manually:

1 - Remove Guest VMs
                2 - Power down VSA VMs, Delete VSA VMs
                3 - Remove VSA Datastores
                4 - Put ESX Hosts into Maintenance Mode
                5 - Move ESX Hosts out from the HA Cluster into the Datacenter
                6 - Delete HA Cluster
                7 - Reset each ESX Host Network Configuration to a Greenfield state (1 NIC and VM Network, Management Network with only Management checked)

8 - Close VI client

9 - net stop vctomcat

10 - net start vctomcat

HTH,

-vr@g0n

• 5. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                  utv Lurker

Can you post the exact error message that you are seeing and the command that you are using?

• 6. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                    GetzVM Novice

i think i noticed some ip numbers added to the vcenter nic during the vsa setup. will this manual cleanup remove those extra ips?

• 7. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                      GetzVM Novice

i cant get to my terminal atm but the first line of the error was like " error in main script com.vmware incorrect username or password" and then a bunch of what looks like other areas of the script that wont load due to the error.

the command im using is cleanup.bat Administrator password

these are the credentials i created when installing vcenter.

• 8. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                        Enthusiast

GetzVM wrote:

i think i noticed some ip numbers added to the vcenter nic during the vsa setup. will this manual cleanup remove those extra ips?

No, these steps won't remove IP address used for VSA Cluster service.

You will have to manually delete that IP address from "Advanced TCP/IP settings" on win2k8.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163570.aspx

• 9. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                          GetzVM Novice

thanks visharma

with some of the mistakes ive made playing around with vsa i am thinking about reinstalling vcenter completely if i cant get the cleanup.bat script to fully remove vsa. will uninstalling and reinstalling vcenter on the same win2008r2 server be sure to remove any and all changes vcenter and vsa made to the system?

• 10. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                            Enthusiast

GetzVM wrote:

thanks visharma

with some of the mistakes ive made playing around with vsa i am thinking about reinstalling vcenter completely if i cant get the cleanup.bat script to fully remove vsa. will uninstalling and reinstalling vcenter on the same win2008r2 server be sure to remove any and all changes vcenter and vsa made to the system?

I would encourage using cleanup.bat to remove VSA cluster, however if its not working at all and you do not care for existing vCenter server installation, then you should first uninstall "VSA Manager" from win2k8 followed by vCenter server uninstallation following Best practices for uninstalling vCenter Server.

This should undo the changes made on win2k8 however for ESXi hosts you will still have to follow the above mentioned manual steps.

• 11. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                              GetzVM Novice

Thanks for your help guys. I got cleanup.bat to work. As everyone replied I must have Administrative rights to use the script. I only have one user for vCenter and that is the Administrator that I setup when installing Win2008 and vCenter. This is the user I have been administering vCenter with the whole time. When I looked in permissions in vCenter I could see a group for Administrators and I presumed that gave my Administrator user the permissions to administer vCenter but I guess it didn't work with the cleanup.bat script. I created a new admin user in Windows, added them to the Administrator permissions in vCenter and the script accepted those credentials and ran????

Thanks again for all your help. I'll see you all next time I screw something up.

• 12. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                                KSANSG Lurker

@Visharma

Do you have any experience "resetting" back to a "brownfield" configuration instead?

I have a two-node cluster that was running VSA. I upgraded physical storage and had issues with the VSA Cluster coming back online. We exported the datastores, with the help of VMware support, and migrated the VMs back to non-cluster, local storage on the two hosts to power them on again. Now, we have 7 VMs running from local storage on two ESXi hosts still in the VSA Cluster and a broken cluster still in existence.

I'd like to wipe out the VSA Cluster without losing the ESXi hosts' network configurations and redeploy a new VSA without interrupting the running VMs again.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                                  Rocksalt Lurker

Further to this discussion,

We found that you need to put each section in quotes, as you might have odd characters in your passwords, for example.

thus:

cleanup.bat -u "MachineName\administrator" -p "Pa$$W^&*rd" -d "NameOfDC"

- the carat, for example, can be a special character on some platforms.

Hope that helps someone.

• 14. Re: VSA cleanup.bat user password???
                                    Novice

Thanks for answering.