6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 10:57 AM by vmbru

Error after ESXi 5 update 1 upgrade on free version

JazzManG Lurker

Has any one else gotten ghettoVCBg2 to run properly after upgrade to ESXi 5u1 via vMA 5 when it is the free version?

I have a couple of free machine and they are the only ones having issues. My licensed production verson work fine.

The error I get on the free machines is as follows:

Can't get vim_service - the session object is uninitialized or not logged in at /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/VMware/VICommon.pm line 1654
      Perl exited with active threads:
              1 running and unjoined
              0 finished and unjoined
              0 running and detached

I've search around and tried various solutions to simular errors (like adding the Carp debug) but nothing works.

None of post update 1 patches have fixed this either.

ghettoVCB runs just fine on the free servers however.

So I'm curious if any else has seen this issue?

• 1. Re: Error after ESXi 5 update 1 upgrade on free version
          JazzManG Lurker

Oh, and before the update 1, the ghettoVCB2 ran fine, only aftewards did the issue appear.

• 2. Re: Error after ESXi 5 update 1 upgrade on free version
            a.p. Guru
            Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

I guess the reason for this is that ghettoVCB2 was built for the paid editions which allow API write access.

There were some editions which did not restrict this access, as you can see in "ESX/ESXi Version Support Table" at http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9843. The initial ESXi 5.0 version is/was one of them, whereas Update 1 is more restrictive again.

André

• 3. Re: Error after ESXi 5 update 1 upgrade on free version
              JazzManG Lurker

Yeah, I believe you are right.

I can still do backup of the ESXi server setting (i.e. vicfg-cfgbackup) just fine, but I believe that only requires only read access.

So I've moved on to MKSBackup with ghettoVCB for my free servers
              http://www.magikmon.com/mksbackup/ghettovcb.en.html

Fortunatly they are all just development/test servers and not in production.

Too bad, the vMA solution is just so easy to deploy and intergrate.

• 4. Re: Error after ESXi 5 update 1 upgrade on free version
                ralf-999 Novice

Ich bin am 6.7. wieder im Hause. In dringenden Fällen bitte Hotline (ZSS 0911/4621-500 Mailto:zss@abdnb.bayern.de oder IT 0911/4621-400 ) informieren.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ralf Schmidt, Dipl-Kfm. (Univ.)

• 5. Re: Error after ESXi 5 update 1 upgrade on free version
                  vmbru Enthusiast

I am currently out of the office and will return Monday, July 9th, 2012.  Please contact the Kemba IT Dept. at 513-763-1822 if you need immediate assistance.  Thank you.

Ryon Brubaker

Director of Information Technology

ryonb@kembacu.org

Kemba Credit Union, Inc.

https://www.kemba.com

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Kemba Credit Union, Inc. for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email, so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

• 6. Re: Error after ESXi 5 update 1 upgrade on free version
                    vmbru Enthusiast

I am currently out of the office and will return Monday, July 9th, 2012.  Please contact the Kemba IT Dept. at 513-763-1822 if you need immediate assistance.  Thank you.

Ryon Brubaker

Director of Information Technology

ryonb@kembacu.org

Kemba Credit Union, Inc.

https://www.kemba.com

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Kemba Credit Union, Inc. for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email, so that the sender's address records can be corrected.