VMware Communities
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for Windows7 32 Bit ISO Image for Fusion 4?

Hello

I'll need any working Windows 7 32 bit ISO image for deployment testing. I found this ISO image collection: http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links. But until now I didn't find any of the 32 bit (x86) images working with VMware Fusion 4.1.3 (latest).

Has anyone found a working x86 ISO image?

Thx Marko

Suggestion to VMware: Collecting ISO images which are working for VMware Fusion 😉

0 Kudos
21 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Suggestion to VMware: Collecting ISO images which are working for VMware Fusion 😉

Well, it's not really VMware's responsibility to provide installation images for Windows. Microsoft offers different subscriptions (e.g. MSDN, Technet) for development which allow you to download all the ISO's from the official download sites.

André

0 Kudos
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

I'll know. But I've really trouble and it's already take an entire day to downloading and checking ISO images. And the collection is a official one but sometimes the installation does not start at all or after couple of minutes there is a missing driver, file, ... .

So currently I'm sligthly pi...d and hoping for any help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You may try the Windows 7 - 90-day trial from the Microsoft's Technet Evaluation Center.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

André

AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

Thx. But didn't work. Again an installation error.

0 Kudos
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

I've already a license for Windows 7 x64 professional.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you trying to install with "Easy Install" enabled? This sometimes does not work as expected and you may better run the installation without using it.

Btw. please provide some more details about the issue, e.g. error messages, which drivers failed, ...

André

0 Kudos
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using the normal installation.

I adjust memory to 2 GB, switch off 3D and sometimes I'll reduce disk space to 40 GB. That's it.

I've attachted the error message as screenshot.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Random thoughts:

Have you verified the integrity of your downloaded ISO image (i.e. through a provided file hash)?

How have you configured the virtual CD drive for your VM? Is it configured for the physical CD/DVD drive (which would mean that you burned your ISO to a DVD-ROM) or is it configured to use the ISO image directly?

Sometimes people have had more luck configuring the VMs CD-ROM to directly access the ISO file than to have it read a DVD in a physical drive.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

Paul E. Rockwell schrieb:

Random thoughts:

Have you verified the integrity of your downloaded ISO image (i.e. through a provided file hash)?

How have you configured the virtual CD drive for your VM? Is it configured for the physical CD/DVD drive (which would mean that you burned your ISO to a DVD-ROM) or is it configured to use the ISO image directly?

Sometimes people have had more luck configuring the VMs CD-ROM to directly access the ISO file than to have it read a DVD in a physical drive.

1) Verified: No! But I've tried several different ISO images. And the last one is from Microsoft itself.

2) I'm using the ISO image directly. I can't see the point, first burning and then using.

Yesterday I'll found something about 0x80070570 error message on Microsoft community. They say something about memory and suggest to run memtest. I dowloaded memtest86+ from www.memtest.org  and of course the virtual maschines passes all tests :-/.

And also I start tempering with the advanced settings of VMware fusion, no effect.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

This is most likely a bad download, chec filesize and MD5 checksum of the ISO.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Only the last one was from Microsoft?

If these aren't actual ISO's from MSDN or Technet, they won't work, and are likely not legit.  Those should not be discussed in these forums.

Even from MSDN, there can be real issues with ISO's.  Burning and using from the DVD get's around that.

Keep in mind that Microsoft just changed their TOS for MSDN and Technet - those images and licenses are temporary and will expire when your subscription does.  It might be worth just buying a legit, retail version and be done with it.

0 Kudos
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

Only the last one was from Microsoft?

Yes. The other images are from here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win.

Even from MSDN, there can be real issues with ISO's.  Burning and using from the DVD get's around that.

Ok. I'll try with burning of the Microsoft ISO.

As I wrote I've got a license, but the DVD is defect, so I'll try to find a ISO. One of the x68 ISO image was quite ok. And by the way I only need it for deployment testing.

Thx for your suggestions 🙂

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You can purchase Windows media without a license from some resellers (and MSFT directly).

0 Kudos
mumek
Contributor
Contributor

Burning didn't work. Same issue.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

mumek wrote:

Burning didn't work. Same issue.

I'm going to have to disagree with in the following context, any ISO Image that is downloaded from Microsoft (or anywhere else for that matter) and validates against its published MD5/SHA1/etc. checksum should not have have to be burned to Optical Media to be used in a Virtual Machine.  Over the years I have downloaded just about everything available ISO Image on MSDN and all of the major Linux distros and I have never had to burn any ISO Image to Optical Media in order to install it in a Virtual Machine.  As a matter of fact I always create ISO Images the the Optical Media Discs I have and use the ISO Image then, because including the time to make the ISO Image it still installs faster then from Disc.  I maintain a file server that has the images on it and usually install across the network and this too is still faster then directly from Disc.

Okay enough ranting, my question to you is...

1) Verified: No! But I've tried several different ISO images. And the last one is from Microsoft itself.

Have you yet validated the ISO Image against it published checksum?  If you have not then do so, otherwise your wasting everyones time including your own! Smiley Wink  Validating the checksum is an Industry Standard Practice and should be done routinely regardless of a reported successful download by whatever method the download was done.  If you don't and you have any issue then it is by all means the absolute first stop on the diagnostic/troubleshooting tree!

Another thing I'd do is use the Apple Hardware Test and test both RAM and Hard Drive on the Host.  Also use Disk Utility to Check/Repair Disk Permissions and uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion before any further attempts so as to be sure the Host is functioning properly if the checksum validates on the ISO and you continue to have issues.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There was a batch of MSDN ISO's that wouldn't mount and install a year or so back (when I let my membership expire).  The only way I could get them to install in Fusion was to burn them and install from the media.  I was just as surprised as anyone.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

See what you get for letting your subscription expire! Smiley Wink

Anyway, I certainly do not doubt that you had some issue with MSDN Downloads, with computers anything can happen, I just haven't had any issues with checksum validated ISO images.   However, I too would try burning if I ran into that issue although I suspect the issue mumek is having needs to be looked at by making sure the Host itself doesn't have any issues by doing what I previously suggested and go from there.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yep, or..just perhaps, they weren't MSFT ISO's.  We've *never* seen that problem here 😉

0 Kudos