5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 8:24 AM by maishsk

Installing ESXi 5 on a usb flash drive

peter79 Enthusiast

Guys,

What is the minimum space required when installing ESXi 5 on a usb flash drive?

Regards.

• 1. Re: Installing ESXi 5 on a usb flash drive
          schepp Virtuoso
          User ModeratorsvExpert

Hi,

I stumbled over this once, since it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere in the official documents, not in the Knowledge base and not in the vSphere 5 Guides.

But if you run the installation it asks you to "select a disk that has a capacity greater than 910 MiB".

So that would be the answer I guess

Regards

• 2. Re: Installing ESXi 5 on a usb flash drive
            peter79 Enthusiast

That would make sense all right .  I have found some people in other forums saying they were running ESXi from 1 GB keys.

• 3. Re: Installing ESXi 5 on a usb flash drive
              mouradb Hot Shot

I've done mine on a 1 GB  USB stick and working fine!

• 4. Re: Installing ESXi 5 on a usb flash drive
                Chris Wahl Master

I'd recommend at least a USB 2.0 device to avoid long boot times, or USB 3.0 if you can find it.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
                • 5. Re: Installing ESXi 5 on a usb flash drive
                  maishsk Expert

1GB

From the Documentation

Storage Requirements for ESXi 5.0 Installation
                  Installing  ESXi 5.0 requires a boot device that is a minimum of 1GB in size. 
                  When  booting from a local disk or SAN/iSCSI LUN, a 5.2GB disk is required to 
                  allow for the creation of the VMFS volume and a 4GB scratch partition on the 
                  boot device.  If a smaller disk or LUN is used, the installer will attempt to 
                  allocate a scratch region on a separate local disk.  If a local disk cannot be 
                  found the scratch partition, scratch, will be located on the ESXi host ramdisk, 
                  linked to /tmp/scratch.  You can reconfigure scratch to use a separate disk 
                  or LUN.  For best performance and memory optimization, VMware recommends that 
                  you do not leave scratch on the ESXi host ramdisk.

To reconfigure /scratch, see Set the Scratch Partition from the vSphere Client.

Due to the I/O sensitivity of USB and SD devices the installer does not create a 
                  scratch partition on these devices. As such, there is no tangible benefit to using 
                  large USB/SD devices as ESXi uses only the first 1GB. When installing on USB 
                  or SD devices, the installer attempts to allocate a scratch region on an available 
                  local disk or  datastore.  If no local disk or datastore is found, /scratch is 
                  placed on the ramdisk.  You should reconfigure /scratch to use a persistent 
                  datastore following the installation.

Maish

VMTN Moderator | vExpert

Author of VMware vSphere Design

@maishsk | My Blog