VMware Edu & Cert Community
rajeshkongu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCLI and Power CLI

Hi all

what is the different between powercli and vsphere VCLI ? Which one is best for study ?

I just thinking about commandline interface. Powercli is based on windows and VCLI is for cross platform. Which is best for feature.

regards,

karthick.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The VCP5 exam may include 1 or 2 questions on CLI tools, but as PowerCLI and vSphere CLI are both valid interfaces for vSphere 5 you could potentially be asked about either or both.

PowerCLI installs on top of Windows and uses a PowerShell-like syntax. vSphere CLI is build into ESXi and also available in the vSphere Manage,ent Assistant appliance - both of those are Linux shell interfaces. There is much overlap in terms of what is possible with PowerCLI and vSphere CLI, but each also has many unique capabilities too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos