4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 4:39 PM by ChipX86

WSX Connecting to ESXi Host

DanM Enthusiast

Hi,

When I connect to an ESXi host with WSX I can see the remote console and I have mouse control, but the keyboard does not work.  I tried with the Windows and Linux binaries provided and have tried connecting to ESXi 4 and 5 hosts, same result.

Is this a known issue?  I thought WSX was compatible with ESXi, is this not the case?

Thanks,

D.

• 1. Re: WSX Connecting to ESXi Host
          Enthusiast

Hi Dan,

Which browser (and version of the browser) are you using?

- Christian

• 2. Re: WSX Connecting to ESXi Host
            DanM Enthusiast

Hi Christian,

I tried using Chrome (It would have been version 19 at the time) on MacOS 10.7.3 and on Windows.  I also tried with IE9 on Windows 2008 and observed the same behaviour -- I could login and pick a VM, see the console and move the mouse around, but had no keyboard input.

Thanks,

D.

• 3. Re: WSX Connecting to ESXi Host
              Enthusiast

Hi Dan,

Hmm, I haven't been able to reproduce this at all, but I'll keep trying. Unfortunately, I don't know of any workaround at this time, given that it's a bit of a mystery to me as to why you can't type.

I assume you can type properly when connected via Workstation?

IE9 is barely going to work at all, so I'm not surprised there. I'd be interested in knowing whether Firefox works though.

• 4. Re: WSX Connecting to ESXi Host
                DanM Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Christian!

I'll investigate further and give Firefox a try.  To be honest I've never even tried the Workstation Preview, I just went straight to connecting to vSphere with WSX.

Now that you mention Workstation it brings up another point I never even considered -- I was running WSX inside a VM with the scenarios I described.  I'll mess around with it a bit more and report back.

Thanks,

D.