1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2012 7:32 PM by kingneutron

No sound in XP guest after upgrade to 754035

kingneutron Master

( note - possible Host issue )

I did the usual, 1st tried upgrading Tools in-place, no joy.  Uninstalled/reinstalled Tools with reboots, no joy.

- Removed the sound card from the VM, booted without it, added it back in - no joy.

+ Upgraded the vHW to TPreview 2012 - no difference.

--Sound card is set to ' auto detect ' and I get an error:

" Cannot connect the virtual device sound because no corresponding device is available on the host.

Do you want to try to connect this virtual device every time you power on the virtual machine? "

--Trying to set the sound card to " ALSA: default sound card " == no joy.

--Sound works fine on the host; pulseaudio is running.

--Host is 64-bit Linux Mint 13, default kernel 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP, fresh install.

--alsamixer is fine on the host, UPDATE: I don't have sound from other apps like Deadbeef, altho I can play .wav files from console.  Weird.

Will try troubleshooting sound on the host sommore...

• 1. Re: No sound in XP guest after upgrade to 754035 (FIXED)
          kingneutron Master

Fixed it.

I had installed Linux Mint 13 on a separate partition and mounted my shared /home, and was using dave2 so I didn't overwrite my default user's Workstation 8 settings.

(I remember seeing this on the forums before -- it's a group-membership issue on Linux.)

Long story short, dave2 was not a member of the proper groups to have sound.

Fix:

' id dave ' # find out which groups I'm in

' usermod -G adm,cdrom,sudo,dip,plugdev dave2 ' -- logout of X and log back in, and Bob's yer uncle.