VMware Cloud Community
SonyRaymond
Contributor
Contributor

SUSE is not bootable once add SCSI Controller with type "Paravirtual"

Hi,

I am following a guide "http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/partners/oracle/vmware-oracle-rac-deploy-guide.pdf" to try

install Oracle 11g RAC on two separate SUSE 11 Linux, everything is fine when I have a standalone SUSE 11g

setup. Then I start to add new SCSI hard disks and a new SCSI Controller 1 is added automatically in this case.

Then I follow the guide to change the SCSI Controller Type to "Paravirtual", and then start the SUSE VM guest.

At this time, the linux guest is no longer bootable. I attach a screen capture on the suse output here.

In the troubleshooting, I put the install CD disc and try install it again, I found that in the hard disk partitioner,

the original /dev/sda is changed to /dev/sdg   (I added five new SCSI hard disks for RAC afterward)

I think it is the main root cause why the SUSE linux suddenly failed to boot.

Finally, I change the new SCSI Controller type back to "LSI Logic Parallel", then the SUSE can boot up successfully.

The ESXi host version is VMWare ESXi 4.1

Does any expert encounter similar situation before?

Please kindly share your experience with me if you know how to fix this situation.

Thanks,

Ray

0 Kudos
6 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Then I start to add new SCSI hard disks and a new SCSI Controller 1 is added automatically in this case.

Then I follow the guide to change the SCSI Controller Type to "Paravirtual", and then start the SUSE VM guest.

Well I hope that you have added the new hard disk as in the order or 1:X where 1 representing an entirly new SCSI controller instead of 0:X. Also to note that in the boot message I find that the logical blocks: 53.6GB/50.0 GB

Also, I hope you are using SP1 of Suse11, since SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP1(32 and 64 bit) and later release are supported from 4.1 release.

0 Kudos
SonyRaymond
Contributor
Contributor

Hi zXi_Gamer,

Initially, the first SCSI hard disk on which the SUSE linux is installed, the SCSI id is 0:1.

At this moment, no extra new SCSI hard disks are added until the SUSE Linux is installed successfully.

Then subsequent hard disks are added in 1:0, 1;1, 1:2.....

I am using SUSE 11 enterprise SP1 in this case.

Thanks,

Ray

0 Kudos
SonyRaymond
Contributor
Contributor

I found this document from vmware

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102359...

and follow the steps in BIOS,

1. Select Hard drive and press Enter.
  2. Move the controller with the operating system to the top of the list.

but I found on the BIOS, I can't select the "Hard Drive" to expand this (even it has a "+" on the left side)

I can expand the "+Removable Devices".

What should I do now? Please help

Ray

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can expand the "+Removable Devices".

I hope that you are pressing Enter in the selection of the Hard Disks. Then the expansion starts :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
SonyRaymond
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand what you mean. I have tried to highlighted the "hard disk" part.

(Make it white highlighted, right?)

But it does not allow me the select the "hard disk",  I can only select the "CDROM", "Removable Device"...."

Please help.

Ray

0 Kudos
nelson_m_neto
Contributor
Contributor

I just faced the same situation and I had a lot of disks as well to contribute.

So I followed https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2011654 and forced on the vmx file to boot from scsi0:0.

Basically opened the vmx file and added bios.hddOrder’ and the the value as ‘scsi0:0’.

Fixed for me, hope it helps.

0 Kudos