VMware Cloud Community
Trojaneca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TP-LINK nic in ESXi 5.0

Hello guys. I am preparing a lab environment for testing purposes only. I have a ESXi 5.0 installed on my machine, it is working great with the onboard nic, no problems at all. But I want to use a second VM for the purposes of Router + WiFi access point, so I bought TP-LINK Model: TL-WN781ND, its a 150 Mbit/s Wireless N nic. Unfortunately ESXi 5.0 does not seem to recognize it so I cannot assign it to any VM.

My question is:

Is it possible to install a driver so that the NIC gets recognized by ESX? Or at least pass the PCI-E port to the guest VM and it handles it (install driver etc.)

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Greetings and welcome to the communities.

As far as from the latest drivers provided by VMware, the WiFi cards are not supported. Smiley Sad

This leaves us the option of giving a PassThrough to the VM using DirectPath

You have to enable VT-D in your BIOS> processor configuration if its an intel and  IOMMU if its an AMD processor and provided your nic card is supported under VMware VMDirect supported hardware :smileysilly: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-11089

while a lot of hardware not-supported still work under DirectPath, you should make a try to see if your card works

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Greetings and welcome to the communities.

As far as from the latest drivers provided by VMware, the WiFi cards are not supported. Smiley Sad

This leaves us the option of giving a PassThrough to the VM using DirectPath

You have to enable VT-D in your BIOS> processor configuration if its an intel and  IOMMU if its an AMD processor and provided your nic card is supported under VMware VMDirect supported hardware :smileysilly: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-11089

while a lot of hardware not-supported still work under DirectPath, you should make a try to see if your card works

0 Kudos
Trojaneca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Host does not support passthrough configuration."

Just for clarification I think my processor does not support virtualization technology...

Does that mean I'm screwed?

Is there any other way to do this?

0 Kudos
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

As stated above, wireless NICs are not supported Smiley Sad

About the only thing you could do without buying more hardware is run ESXi nested, that is, a VM of ESXi on top of your existing physical ESXi 5 host. You can then add as many vmnics as you like, for routing purposes. This doens't really help you for wireless however.

There's a pre-built / automated set up of nested ESXi called the AutoLab you can download on labguides.com

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
0 Kudos
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What's your CPU?

Most modern CPUs will do virtualization, it's just a matter of turning the feature on in you BIOS if it's not already on.

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, not entirely screwed :smileydevil:. Once you can always compile a driver and make it work. I believe vibtool is available for the same. And also you can work the other way by creating a WS and hosting ESXi5.0 and VMs inside it and the VMs in the WS will be using the WiFi and one VM you can set as Wifi access point. Worth a try Smiley Wink

Trojaneca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is an interesting idea... Sound a little crazy though (write your own driver) :smileygrin: But why not. Any guide how to do it? And even if I succeed, how could I install this driver to the esxi 5.0 host?

Thanks

P.S. What do you mean by WS?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution