VMware Cloud Community
chriswu11111
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Virutalisation error message

Hi I'm trying to get VSA working....and i don't have the hardware equipment so i thought of installing ESXI wthin an ESXI in order to create more nic cards and use my 24gb ram and processors.

i'm currently using a dell poweredge 2950 to do this.

i have enabled virtual technoology in the bios and hence installed ESXi on the server.

When i try to instal another version of ESXi as a virtual machine inside it i get the error:

hardware virtualization is not a feature of the cpu or is not enabled in the bios

...............thats suggests to be VT is not enabled but it is. ......further thinking suggest to me that the GUEST VM BIOS doesn't have VT as a choice.

Does anyone know how i can fix this. I think becuase of this when i get to the stage of VSA manager and choose the host it says my hardware is not supported. Looking at it closedly it mentions the error "hosts with unsupported EVC", status degraded, hardware not supported.

i think this must be to with the VT on the guest OS.

Anyone got any work arounds on this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Nested Virtualization

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Virtualized VT-x requires hardware support for EPT, which is probably not available in the PowerEdge 2950.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Chris,

What's the CPU model of the Dell Power Edge 2950 server ?

I was using the same 2U rack server a while ago it is Dell Power Edge 2950-III with Intel Xeon E 5450 CPU it is working fine as I can deploy VM with Intel VT-x (the bottom radio button selection) without error for my virtualized SQL Server 2008 and SharePoint 2010 VM.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
chriswu11111
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Its an Intel Xeon 5140 2.33Ghz.

Will thsi be a problem?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Xeon 5140 does not support EPT, and therefore does not support virtualized VT-x (i.e. VT-x within a VM, for nested virtualization).

0 Kudos