VMware Cloud Community
anuragvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to execute ADFS setup exe using VCO PowerShell plug-in workflow

Hi,

I am trying to execute PowerShell script to run the Adfsset.exe through VCO PowerShell plug-in workflow (“Invoke an external script”) on PowerShell host machine(Windows 2008 R2 64bit), workflow complete successfully but it wouldn’t execute AdfsSetup.exe. It start executing script without error but it throws following error when it run AdfsEtup.exe on PowerShell host

Installing with WUSA: ‘c:\...\KB981002.msu

Installation of KB981002.msu failed. Error Access Denied

The PowerShell script file exeSetup.ps1 contains following commandlets

Echo “executing AdfsSetup”

&”C:\AdfsSetup.exe” /quiet /logfile “C:\execLog.log”

If I run the same PowerShell script file though PowerShell console while logged into the PowerShell host machine, it works fine.

Is there a setting you can change to allow to be installed/execute remotely through VCO workflow?

-AnuragR

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Perhaps the command you are trying to run doesn't like the security context it is running under: the service account defined for the vCenter Orchestrator Server service. You may need to change that to an appropriate account with the relevant permissions on your network.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It definetly looks like an issue with priviliges. I think it is more like a problem with Windows permissions configuration. You can check

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/45dcd267-0e1a-47d0-b587-0304106...

Just to clarify that the PowerShell plugin will use the provided credentials and the scipt will be executed in the security context of the provided user.

What I would try is to invoke the script remotely (e.g using PowerShell Remoting features)  because executing the script locally and executing it remotely is a bit different. Once you have this set up you should not have issues with integrating it in vCO.

Note: When you are testing make sure to use the same user used in vCO since as far as I remember there was a difference in requred priviliges if connected with domain user or local one.

0 Kudos
anuragvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I know this issue is related with privileges but how to resolve this not able to short out.

I don’t know how to pass username password in the script.

One more thing I notice when I was trying this issue. I was not able to add PowerShell host through PowerShell plug-in’s “Add PowerShell host” workflow when I was logged in the VCO client as domain user, it throws following error

Can't validate host:  Invocation of script $host threw exception (Dynamic Script Module name: addPowerShellHost#15)

When I log-in into the VCO client virtual machine’s Administrator user- then I able to add PowerShell host successfully

--AnuragR

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for my a bit obfuscated answer.

Unfortunately I am not sure what are the exact permisions that must be set. What I ment is that most likely it is not connected with vCO but it is more like an issue with Windows 2008 Permissions and PowerShell remoting and I suggest searching in that direction. And maybe even posting on windows forums. You have already test the script localy, but as I already mention permissions required by Microsoft Windows when invoking script's remotely are different.

To test it remotely you can try something like :

C:\>powershell
PS > $password = "somepassword" | ConvertTo-SecureString -asPlainText -Force
PS > $username = "username"
PS > $credential = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($username,$password)
PS > Enter-PSSession POWER_SHELL_HOST_IP -Authentication Basic -Credential $credential
PS > exeSetup.ps1

This code must be executed on a machine diferent from your PowerShell host.

>> I don’t know how to pass username password in the script.

When adding the a powershell host  you have 2 choices ("Shared Session" and "Session per user").

If "Shared Session" is selected   - you are prompted to provide username/password.

If "Session per user" is selected  - username/password are taken from the one provided when logging in the vCO client.

Those credentials are used when  “Invoke an external script” workflow is started and configured PowerShell host is selected. What this means is that the powershell script will be executed on the PowerShell host in the security context of the provided user.

>> If I run the same PowerShell script file though PowerShell console while logged into the PowerShell host machine, it works fine.

When you are testing it make sure that you are logged in with the user that you provided when configuring PowerShell host in vCO.

Even if you are able to execute the powershell script with this user localy there is still great chance that this user does not have enough priviliges to execute it remotely.

Hope I was able to help

igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can also check the following link. Looks quite simmilar to your issue.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2201384

0 Kudos