9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 7:42 PM by subterfuge

Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times

PRobertson Novice

I have been rolling out Autodeploy to provision vSphere 5.0 U1 hosts in our environment.  We are running on Cisco UCS blades with full 10GbE connectivity within our datacenter fabric.  Our DHCP, DNS, TFTP and vCenter servers are all reachable over the 10GbE fabric, network and storage latency for these servers are well within tolerance and yet it takes 15-20 minutes to download the image and boot the server.  I realize that I am not pruning the ESX image, in fact I have taken the base image and added HA/FDM and Cisco vibs, but the image is still not huge.  The blades are running Intel Sandybridge with anywhere from 256-384 GB RAM.

I guess I just expected this to be faster.  It is considerably slower than booting from SAN.  Is my experience normal? 

• 1. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
          cruzo Lurker

I have the same issue only with my ucs blades. I can boot my ibm servers in about 1/20th the time it takes for a ucs blade to boot using the same image, pxe and tftp server. Also if I boot more than 1 blade at the time they get stuck.

• 2. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
            hoempf Lurker

Same problems here. Also on UCS with VIC1280 and 6100 FIs.

What drivers did you pack into the image? Are you using VIC1280 in your blades? "Old" Fabric Interconnect / FEX or new ones?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
              TomBowers Novice

I will be out of the office August 17th to August 24th returning on August 27th.  Please forward any questions to Distributed Systems.

The information contained in this email message may be privileged,

confidential, and protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized use,

printing, copying,disclosure, dissemination of or reliance upon

this communication by persons other than the intended recipient

may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think that

you have received this E-mail message in error, please reply to

the sender and delete this email promptly.

• 4. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
                kraeuchi Lurker

We have the same problem with brand new B200 M3 Blades with 256GB Ram, UCS Software 2.0.3(b).

The boot process even hangs, the blades to not come up at all.

Sometimes it hangs at net-nx-n, sometimes at sata stuff... it's not really predictable. Maybe it would fully boot up if you allow 3-4 hours to boot.

Someone an idea?

• 5. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
                  hoempf Lurker

Apparently there's a bug with the Cisco Palo or VIC adapter (which use the same drivers) --> CSCtu17983

I hope this gets fixed anytime soon since Auto Deploy is not really usable on the UCS platform with any virtual interface card (which most of UCS customers probably have).

I don't mind a 5 minutes+ boot time. The real problem lies in a recovery from power loss for example or simply any other scenario where multiple hosts boot with Auto Deploy at the same time. They eventually stall in such a scenario and don't boot at all, which is not acceptable IMO.

HTH

P.S. It would be very interesting to have someone with a non-VIC on B2xx blades to test this ... anyone?

• 6. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
                    subterfuge Lurker

Just got this back from Cisco TAC:

... "due to the important change required to solve this  problem, this defect is targeted to be fixed in 2.1(2a). 2.1(2) is not yet a committed release, but we currently expect it in the  first half of 2013 (tentatively Q1). This particular defect, CSCtu17983, is one that we understand is important and are currently looking to address in that release, but it is still under investigation."

• 7. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
                      acasanovanex Novice

Any update on this from Cisco?

We are currently experiencing just the same issue.

• 8. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
                        TomBowers Novice

I will be out of the office February 14th and 15th, please send immediate requests to Dept-Distributed Systems.

The information contained in this email message may be privileged,

confidential, and protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized use,

printing, copying,disclosure, dissemination of or reliance upon

this communication by persons other than the intended recipient

may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think that

you have received this E-mail message in error, please reply to

the sender and delete this email promptly.

• 9. Re: Autodeploy Performance & Boot Times
                          subterfuge Lurker

I got an update from TAC that said that they have scheduled the fix for version 2.1.2 which should be out in the middle of this year. Unfortunately, that's exactly what they last update said, so I suppose at least it is on track.