14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 3:05 AM by Naki

Windows 8 RC internet connection

eduard93 Lurker

Hello. I installed Windows 8 Release Preview build 8400 on VMware® Workstation 8.0.3 build-703057. While installing virtual machine i choosed NAT as internet connection option. But virtual machine doesn't see it (internet). What can i do, to connect vm to the internet?

Host machine Windows 7 with  NAT internet connection

• 1. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
          mfelker Expert

Change the adapter to Bridged.  This is the only way I have been to network Windows 8.

• 2. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
            Naki Enthusiast

mfelker ---> What you suggest does not work.

My problem (I assume the original poster has the same problem):

My Host OS is Windows 7 64-bit, Utlimate, Service Pack 1.

16 GB of RAM. Intel Core i3 CPU (dual core/quad thread). I have a WiFi router and usually use Bridged networking for all of my Guest OSes.

VMware Workstation is 8.0.3 version.

Windows 8 Guest runs fine, but VMware Workstation says there is no VMware Tools for it.

And, without VMware Tools, the networking does not work - it does not work when set to NAT or set to Bridged.

So, there is no Internet access on the Guest OS, and no network folder sharing/etc.

In Device Manager, the Ethernet controller shows as one without a driver - yellow exclamatiom mark (and is not in the Network adapters section, but in Other devices instead).

In Control Panel ---> Networking, the list of network adapters shows as empty.

In Command Prompt, ipconfig shows an empty list.

Please suggest a possible way to get networking to work.

Maybe these?? --->

1) Use VMware tools from some other guest OS in some way.

2) Change the VMX to use a generic/real network card instead of VMware card, then install that card driver (AMD/Intel/etc).

3) Some other way?

• 3. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
              WoodyZ Guru

Archive (compress) and attach to a reply post a copy of the .vmx configuration file and the vmware.log file.

• 4. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                abirhasan Hot Shot

Here is the same problem.

abirhasan  http://img.javafaq.nu/blush.gif
                • 5. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                  WoodyZ Guru

abirhasan wrote: Here is the same problem.

If what you're actually trying to say is you're having the same problem too, then archive (compress) and attach to a reply post a copy of the .vmx configuration file and the vmware.log file.

• 6. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                    mfelker Expert

To me this is teh centdral problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 8 Guest runs fine, but VMware Workstation says there is no VMware Tools for it.

And, without VMware Tools, the networking does not work - it does not work when set to NAT or set to Bridged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes (but not always) Networkinig won't  work even with VMware Tools is installed.  But I don't see that you have tried to install the Tools program anyway.  When you install them on Windows 8 guese use custom insatll and don't enable the SVGA   this is a known problem and will lead to the failure of the entire guest.

Look at the network settings there may be a setting is a setting in the network adapter (if you use Bridged) that allows you to replcate the host network networking configuration.  You mght try that .  But since I'm not using 8.0.3 at the moment this could be a feature of WS beta  - which is more compatibly with Window 8 anyway.  This program can detect a Windows 8 CDROM.

BTW I often learn things I didn't think of from posts.  For example I lost connectivity on a guest recently and didn't think to look at the control panel for network devices!

• 7. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                      eduard93 Lurker

Here. All requested files.

• 8. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                        WoodyZ Guru

You need to change the Guest OS from "Other" to "Windows 7" and then add the following to the .vmx configuration file to have a working Network Adapter.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

Then if you want, you'll be able to install VMware Tools however do a custom install and do not install the SVGA Driver.

• 9. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                          eduard93 Lurker

done. Guest system asking for driver for ethernet controller now.

UPD: got standart drivers installed. Internet works great. Thanks

• 10. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                            aurelius7 Novice

Thanks for posting. It worked for me this morning while creating an eval setup!

Guest: Windows 8 Pro, x32, Technet.

VMware: Workstation 9

Host: Windows 7 Pro, x64

--Jeff

• 11. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                              WoodyZ Guru

aurelius7 wrote:

Thanks for posting. It worked for me this morning while creating an eval setup!

Guest: Windows 8 Pro, x32, Technet.

VMware: Workstation 9

Host: Windows 7 Pro, x64

Just an FYI... If using VMware Workstation 9 or VMware Player 5 you should be able to select Windows 8 when creating a VM and it will set the Ethernet Adapter as follows.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

If upgrading an existing Windows 7 VM even changing it to Windows 8 will not change it to "e1000e" and that needs to be done by manually editing the .vmx configuration file or by deleting/adding back the Network Adapter from the Virtual Machines Settings after changing its OS to Windows 8.

• 12. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                                aurelius7 Novice

I would agree what you outlined should happen, but my experience this morning wasn't so.

I did choose the Windows 8 option for a clean install of Windows 8 Pro x32. After install, the OS stated it saw the network card, but the driver wasn't accepted. My options indicated by Windows 8 was to reinstall the driver. So I looked on the VMware tools disk and didn't see a driver.

Next, I searched through the forums and tried the idea of switching the VM's network setting from NAT to Bridged. After OS reboot, negative on the network connectivity.

Then, I found your option on my next forum search and that worked instantly after reboot. In fact, the first question Windows 8 was asking me after logging in was if I wanted to share files with the network.

In addition, I did search for your line below in respective VMX prior to making changes

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

However, I can bear witness to you that the line specified above wasn't in there.

If you want, I can do a Windows 8 reinstall to see if this issue replicates. Otherwise, I'll move on.

The steps I followed were during my install this morning:

-> Chose New VM, Chose Windows 8, Chose to Install OS later

-> Chose 1GB Mem, Chose 60GB HDD, Removed FDD&Printer,

-> Set NAT.

I'm on a Intel Q6600@2.4GHZ, 8GB, Win 7 x64.

I did have VM's running at the same time as the install was going: 2 XP VM's and a Linux VM....which were not running any user apps.

Thanks again.

• 13. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                                  vsphere007 Lurker

you should change you vm network setting in bridge network.

• 14. Re: Windows 8 RC internet connection
                                    Naki Enthusiast

Bridged networking should only be used if you have a router. If you don't have one, you should not use it.

Also, if the network card does not work due to a driver issue, I don't see how changing the VMware Guest OS Networking mode can help.

Editing the VMX file as outlined above does help in such cases.