VMware Cloud Community
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Cannot rename VM in vSphere Client

Due to a quick refresh on vSphere Client, I am not able to rename my VM. When ever, I click on the VM, hit F2 and type the new name, the screen does a refresh and I am not able to rename the VM.

I can just type on the notepad and do a quick cut and paste but I would like to know, how can we stop/avoid/fix this behaviour of vSphere Client.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have the approriate permissions to rename the VM? If you right click on the VM and select rename do you receive any error?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

I don't think it has got to do with permissions, it is just that the screen does a quick refesh and I am not able to type fully the VM name.

There are no error messages.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

renaming VMs has always been somewhat cumbersome.  Within the inventory view, remove the checkbox to "show VMs in Inventory".  Then do the rename of the guest under the Virtual Machines Tab.  This seems to work a lot better.  Also, ensure your view is Set to "Hosts and Clusters".  The VMs and Templates view seems to be the most difficult inventory view to do the rename.

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

vcpguy wrote:

it is just that the screen does a quick refesh and I am not able to type fully the VM name.

have seen a similar issue when connecting to vCenter server using vSphere client installed on a jumpstation. But doesn't happen when launching vSphere client directly from the vCenter.

Didn't get the chance to get to the root of the issue but I suspect it was due to network problems.

Another time is when the VM is registered on more than one host and flickering between them (does happend during outages;) )

..hth!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi vcpguy

Have you tried through modifying configuration file ?If not please modify the  configuration file  Display name  line  .

After that you may need to change file name also.

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoe."
0 Kudos
ianacces
Contributor
Contributor

I would have thought that directly editing the config file would be to be avoided at all costs. One slip there and you'll have a non-bootable VM.

0 Kudos
LewisMwalim
Contributor
Contributor

i was facing the same trying to rename VM by right clicking on the vm and selectin rename . the only way  could rename the VM was by going through editing   Edit Settings  >  VM Options > general Options > VM Name   .

0 Kudos
jcv365
Contributor
Contributor

Rename VM using PowerCLI

After a Get-VIServer -Server vcenter101, of course.

Get-VM -Name test1 | Set-VM -Name test2 -Confirm:$false
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Add a new test VM, remove it from inventory and add it with another name (if you need, rename the *.vmx file too). Now check the problem still exist or not?

Also when you try to rename the VM check the related log files to find everything about the VM rename operation ... (vmware.log in VM's directory and vmkernel.log in /var/log directory)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
llaza
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem on ESXI 6.5

The solution which worked for me on Firefox was to use the HTML5 instead of flash based client.

0 Kudos