5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 9:46 AM by TYACC

VMware studio build profile import

pgurav Lurker

Is it possible to create a VMware studio build profile from an existing deployed VM on Vmware...?

• 1. Re: VMware studio build profile import
          asharpe Hot Shot
          VMware Employees

It is possible (the EVM feature accepts a vi:// url to point to an existing deployed VM), but it would help to know what problem you are trying to solve. Re-creating a build profile from an already built VM is difficult and problematic, and the EVM feature is being deprecated because it rarely works as it was intended. It is far better to create the VM from scratch in the first place.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VMware studio build profile import
            pgurav Lurker

Thanks for your reply. Actually I am trying this option, as I already had a customize OS created for my application which is in the OVA format and VMware studio only accepts an iso as a input for Oprating system parameter, so it would have been useful if I could get the VMware studio profile from the existing VM instead of re-creation of customized iso. One more query I had regarding VMware studio OS installation, does it only install the Operating system in server mode or is it possible to install the base OS in GUI mode using VMware studio.

• 3. Re: VMware studio build profile import
              asharpe Hot Shot
              VMware Employees

You can add any GUI packages you'd like to turn it into a graphical system. Alternatively, depending on the OS, the <vadk:PackageGroup> element in the profile may be used to select a different set of base packages. Also, the autoyast/kickstart/autoinstall file for each of the OSs can be modified to choose which base set of packges to install.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: VMware studio build profile import
                pgurav Lurker

Hey I added a kickstart file to my iso and tried building the profile from vmware studio. But it started giving an error, that it cannot mount the particular iso.

• 5. Re: VMware studio build profile import
                  TYACC Novice

Hi,

i saw your reply that we can use the existing VM ( already installed oS).

Our requriment was, we already have customised OS ( OS installed Servi ce pack and company montioring agent installed).

We want app team to install thier package keep it as template for thier application deplyment.

So can you guide how we can do that.

Regards,

- Y