VMware Cloud Community
bnk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nt4 on dvSwitch 5.0

We have som old nt4 servers witch we have to migrate from vSphere 4.1 to vSphere 5.0, with dvSwitch 5.0.

Is it possible to upgrade the nt4 machine VM version from 4 to 8 witch I have to do to make the servers compatible with dvSwitch?

Last year I tried to upgrade the from VM version 4 to 7, but did not work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

bnk wrote:

We have som old nt4 servers witch we have to migrate from vSphere 4.1 to vSphere 5.0, with dvSwitch 5.0.

Is it possible to upgrade the nt4 machine VM version from 4 to 8 witch I have to do to make the servers compatible with dvSwitch?

You should not have to upgrade the virtual hardware of the VM to use a distributed switch of any type.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

bnk wrote:

You should not have to upgrade the virtual hardware of the VM to use a distributed switch of any type.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Upgrading the hardware version from 4 to 8 is supported afaik. Only after upgrading, the hardware version 8 features will be limited to the GOS type. Also, dvswitch will consider the vnic connectivity from the gos and will not consider if its hw 4 or 7, unless you have vShield configured which uses dv-filter module.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Last year I tried to upgrade the from VM version 4 to 7, but did not work.

I just tried on my system and the upgrade is working just fine.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

bnk wrote:

I have to do to make the servers compatible with dvSwitch?

The only servers that really need to be compatible with the dvSwitch version (4.0, 4.1 or 5.0) is the ESXi hosts themselfs.

0 Kudos
bnk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds nice.

Thanks everyone;)

0 Kudos