VMware Cloud Community
deltamgmt
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Tomcat memory usage

Hi.

Something seems to be wrong with the memory usage of our vCenter Server. We have started noticing that the server is low on memory, and I checked the process memory usage. The "Commit" memory of the tomcat process is 5! GB, and the "Working set" is 2 GB. See attached screenshot.

I chose "small" when installing the vCenter server, and I have checked the settings in the registry. They are correct (JvmMs=256, JvmMx=1024, JvmSs=1024). Does anyone have an idea what could cause this enormous memory usage? And how can tomcat use so much memory with the limits that are set?

vCenter is installed with Update Manager, and we also have ChargeBack installed on the same server (that is the other tomcat6 process in the screenshot).

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Caffeine_Free
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran into the same problem last night after upgrading VCenter from 4.1 to 5.0 Update 1. According to VMware support there is a Java/Tomcat memory leak in that relese of VCenter. The temporary workaround is stop all services which utilze Java/Tomcat (VCenter Management Webservices, Update Manager and Profile-Driven Storage Service). A permanent fix is supposedly coming out in the next couple of weeks.

0 Kudos
TimLawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

do you have any update on this? Was a patch released? This issue is killing us!

0 Kudos
Caffeine_Free
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been checking the website for downloads but so far do not see anything new for VCenter. I have also been asking VMware support about the patch but getting to response. This is rather disconcerting.

0 Kudos
TimLawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chargeback is virtually unusable in a production environment for us now. It just randomly kills vCenter web services and hence knackers all vCloud operations.

We had this response from VMware this AM:

"I spoke to the release manager regarding this query.

He mentioned that vCenter update 1a is due in the next week but can't commit to an exact date in case there are any last minute issues found which may delay the release.

I wish I could give you an exact date but they are not providing it to us yet."

0 Kudos
Caffeine_Free
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This sounds promising.

Thank you

0 Kudos
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi!

vCenter 5.0 U1A was released today which resolves this issue.

vCenter Server Web services might consume all the memory assigned to it
vCenter Server Webservices (tomcat6.exe) might consume all the memory assigned it. Increasing the Tomcat maximum memory pool does not resolve the issue.
This affects any vCenter web services related functionality.
This issue is resolved in this release.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsp_vc50_u1a_rel_notes.html

--- Martin

0 Kudos
Caffeine_Free
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just patched my VCenter server and no luck. Tomcat and Java are still killing it. This is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Cryptz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i just wanted to add that i have the same problem with vcenter 5.1

0 Kudos
druide
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem whit vCenter 5.1 used in a very small lab. Only 4 VMs, one is the vCenter for testing...

The ESX Host have only 8GB, and vCenter kills the memory 😞

0 Kudos
agabellini
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

same problem here with vCenter just upgraded to 5.1 and an empty database and repository. vCenter has 4GB assigned. When web service starts it eats about 500MB of ram and in few hours it eats all avalable ram.

Is there a workaround?

Andrea

0 Kudos
srikanthraavi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we are also facing same issue, anyone please provide steps to resolve this issue......:-)

Thanks&regards

Srikanth Raavi

0 Kudos
druide
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrter eMail-Versender,

ich bin bis 15.03.2013 nicht im Hause.

eMails werden nicht weitergeleitet.

In dringenden Fällen wenden Sie sich an unsere Einsatzlenkung unter support.scc@cancom.de<mailto:support.scc@cancom.de>.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Steffen Stinka

System Engineer

CANCOM IT Solutions GmbH

Max-Eyth-Str. 21

72622 Nürtingen

Deutschland

Telefon: +49 7022-9275-3895

Telefax: +49 8225-99647-261

Steffen.Stinka@cancom.de<mailto:Steffen.Stinka@cancom.de>

www.cancom.de<http://www.cancom.de/>;

<http://www.cancom.de/Portals/0/exchange/logo_cancom.jpg>

Sitz der Gesellschaft: München

HRB 193717 München

Geschäftsführer: Frank Ricter (Vorsitzender),Ralf Binder, Jacques Diaz, Manfred Hövel, Christian Linder

Diese E-Mail und alle mit gesendeten Dateien sind vertraulich und

ausschließlich für den Gebrauch durch den Empfänger bestimmt!

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential intended solely for the use of the addressee!

0 Kudos
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hej!

Jag är ledig, åter i tjänst 18:e mars.

Vänligen kontakta Anders Sevelin 021-805808 så slussar han brådskande ärenden vidare.

Hi!

I'm on vacation and will return the 18th of march.

Contact Anders Sevelin at +46 21 805808 for urgent help.

0 Kudos