VMware Cloud Community
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P2v fails error "Unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine."

Hello

i am trying to convert physical windows machine using vcenter converter standalone  5.0 ,it got failed at 98 % & 95% .whats the reason

how ro resolve this iuuse.first time it got failed at 95 % and second time it got failed at 98 % says same error.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How does the source system look like. Which OS is being used and how do the partitions on the disk look like? Some vendors have OEM/service partitions on the disk which may cause issues. If you cannot see anything like this, please create and post (attach) the converter log bundle.

André

0 Kudos
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

source machine was windows 2003 R2  having 3 partitions(hard disks)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Did the VM arrive on the target ?
What happens if you boot it ?

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

While doing P2V are you changing the disk size?

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
JohnEPeterson
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the same error and have not found a solution. I am using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone  4.3.0 Trying to P2V Windows 2003 Sp2 server with one hard disk partitioned into 3 logical drives all dynamic. Nothing abnormal in the boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect
FAILED: unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine. Error: An error occurred during reconfiguration.

Any help would be great. Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

post the vmx-file of that VM

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmmm, dynamic disks are not *fully* supported from the converter.... if they are single disks, could you try convert them to basic disks before conversion? Or if the conversion finished (98%) you could try only to reconfig the result VM, try to boot and see what's will happens.

0 Kudos
JohnEPeterson
Contributor
Contributor

My problem has been resolved. It was an issue with the dynamic disks

0 Kudos
ZAFFARTV
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me how you sort this out , i have the same error when do the p2v to windows 2003

0 Kudos