VMware {code} Community
nuriel77
Contributor
Contributor

Create a VM using StoragePlacementSpec

Hello,

I cannot use the apps/vm/vmcreate.pl when using StoragePod (SDRS).

I understood one might need to use StorageDrsPodSelectionSpec and the like?

Would it be possible to request a working example of a script creating a VM onto a StoragePod?

Or otherwise a link, as I did not find any example besides a CloneVM one.

Thanks in advance,

Nuriel Shem-Tov

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

To provision VMs whether creating a new or cloning from an existing onto a Datastore Cluster, you will need to leverage a different vSphere API than the CreateVM_Task() or CloneVM_Task() methods. You can take a look at this article which goes into details on what you would need to provision VMs on Datastore Clusters http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/03/vm-provisioning-on-datastore-clusters.html and that should provide you with what you need to create your provisioning script.

nuriel77
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply and information.

It took me some trial and error and I finally managed to create a VM onto a datastore cluster Smiley Happy

One of the errors I encountered was due to me providing the wrong parameters. Ther reason I am mentioning this is because the "wrong call" has disconnected vCenter completely, something I did not expect could happen.

The parameter which I entered which was wrong was the "vmfolder", somehow it defaulted to the word "Datacenters"...

Output:

Creating imp-test onto sdrs_cluster1
Error creating VM 'imp-test':
SOAP request error - possibly a protocol issue: Status read failed: Connection reset by peer at /usr/share/perl5/Net/HTTP/Methods.pm line 269.
After which vCenter has become not accessible anymore (my vSphere client seemed to loose connection as well).
I could not connect for about 5 minutes, but then vCenter seemed to become accessible again.
I also did not encounter any interesting entries in the log.

I am glad this is working and I can now start using it in production.
However, I am unsettled about the declaration:

NOTE: This data object type and all of its methods are experimental and subject to change in future releases.

Hope for the best 🙂

Thanks again,

Nuriel Shem-Tov

0 Kudos
Warenn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I m facing the same issue and I keep on getting the same error : 'A general system error occured: optional value not set'. When I put a datastore, everything(vm.congifSpec) but it seems that for a cluster of datastore you need different parameters could you please tell me which ones ?

An example of your working code would also be greatly appretiated.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos