VMware Cloud Community
CesarTabares
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VSphere search feature is not accurate

Hi!

I have a simple question, that probably has a difficult answer.

When I use the Search Inventory and type in the name of a VM, the search doesn't give all the results. Only partial results are returned

Example: I have several hosts in a cluster and VM's with the names XYZQWERTY, XYZQWERT, XYZQWER, XYZQWE. When I search for server XYZ in the Capture.PNGbox, the result does give me XYZQWERTY and XYZQWERT, but not the rest

The same thing happens in the Capture2.PNGsearch box.

the only way I know how to find the VM is to browse to the cluster and expand it in the Hosts and Clusters view or use theVms and Templates view.

Has anyone resolved this problem?

A colleague of mine told me it has something to do with the vcenter webservice or vcenter clienten cache data

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CesarTabares
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We solved this, I think it was a database issue of some kind, can't remember exactly. It was a long time ago

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

What version of vcenter you have?

We have vcenter 5, it works perfectly. i tried the example which you given.

Thanks,

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
CesarTabares
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The version is 4.1.

It is a little annoying to have to use PowerCLI or a difficult method for searching through the inventory

It worked perfectly at my previous employer, we had the same version there. I've seen the problem for the first time when I started working for this company.

Is there anyone out there who has had this problem?

0 Kudos
johnpearson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I didn't see any further replies to your question, and just wanted to add I'm seeing the same thing using 4.1.  Search works most of the time, but there are a few VM's that search just doesn't "see".  Client and VC are the same versions.  Granted I work in a large environment with 1000's of VMs, so maybe it's a DB issue, or something that didn't register during provisioning.  I don't know.  It is frustrating.  Still searching for answers.  (no pun intended)

CesarTabares
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We solved this, I think it was a database issue of some kind, can't remember exactly. It was a long time ago

0 Kudos