VMware Communities
snip596
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse seems to move around slightly in Linux guests.

Host: Windows 7 x64

Software: Workstation 8.0.2

Guests: Ubuntu 12.04, Kubutu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04 (VMware Tools installed in all 3)

I've been trying out the new Ubuntu flavors with Workstation and seem to having a weird issue with the mouse inside the guests. It's a bit difficult to explain, so bear with me.

When I move the mouse slowly in a certain direction inside the guest, Workstation seems to be telling the guest that my mouse is moving back and forth (for example, if I move the mouse down 5 pixels, it appears that the guest is seeing that the mouse moves 5 pixels down, then maybe 3 pixels back up, then 2 pixels back down to come to its final resting place).

This issue is most apparant with menus. When you drop down a menu and move your mouse over the menu items, the currently selected menu items is highlighted. In my Linux guests, if I bring up a menu and slowly move my mouse downward between two menu items, the highlight will change from the top menu item to the bottom one momentarily, then change back (all the while I am not moving my mouse upward), then change it back to the bottom one.

A somewhat related issue is if I click repeatedly in one area multiple times without moving the mouse, after 6-7 clicks the guest will stop recognizing the mouse clicks. For example, if you click the Kubuntu "Start" button or Xubuntu's "Applications" button 6-7 times without moving the mouse, each time will open the menu and then close it after the next click. But after 6-7 times, suddently clicking no longer registers in the guest. In fact, the guest won't even highlight the button (as it would if it thought the mouse was over it). If I move the mouse slightly inside the guest, suddently it recognizes the mouse again.

Another related issue is moving windows inside the guest. This happens on both Gnome 3, KDE, and XFCE (the three guests I mentioned above). If you click and drag a window around at normal speed, it seems very smooth. But if you click and drag slowly, the window will sort of jump around a bit. For example, if you drag the window down a tiny bit, the guest will think you moved it down a bit, then to the right a bit, then maybe to the left, etc... The window ends up where it should go, but its very jittery.

I have tried to change the Input grabbing priority to High, change the "Gaming mode" to both Always and Never, and change the Guest OS type. The only thing that made a difference was changing the Guest OS type to "Windows" on my Linux guest. In that case, the mouse was not enhanced at all (even with VMware tools installed, my mouse was very laggy and could not escape the window unless I hit Ctrl+Alt. However, the mouse did not exhibit the "small snapping" but I described above.

Could someone with Workstation and Ubuntu 12.04 try to reproduce this issue? Simply open up the applications menu and slowly move your mouse down and up between them. After a few attempts, you should notice a situation where the highlight jumps back and forth between the menu items a few times, even though you aren't moving your mouse back and forth. Either that or just try clicking a button several times inside a Ubuntu guest without moving the mouse and let me know if the guest stops registering the clicks after a while. Or maybe drag a window around very slowly and see if it seems smooth or jittery.

These issues may seem minimal, but they make using the guests pretty annoying. For example, it's difficult to target the bottom right corner of a guest window to resize it, because the guest is seeing the mouse move around more than it appears on my host.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
snip596
Contributor
Contributor

A quick update. This appears to only happen in Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu 12.04. I tried Xubuntu 11.10 and the mouse worked as I would have expcted. I'm going to try to figure out the difference between the Xorg mouse drivers.

0 Kudos
tldavenport
Contributor
Contributor

If you start xev and watch the location for the pointer while clicking (but not moving the mouse) you'll see that for the mouse down event the cursor moves 1 pixel down and 1 pixel right and then again on mouse up.  So each click displaces the cursor by 2 pixels diagonally.  Curiously the cursor on the screen doesn't move though.  It will also move from key presses.  After typing a bunch you'll see the cursor suddenly change as it thinks it is over the edge of the window and wants to allow resizing.  The errors seem to be reported by the evdev kernel driver (tested with evtest) but only when X is running.  If X is not running evtest gives expected results.  While it is running you get the spurious 1 pixel relative movements.

0 Kudos
snip596
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply tldavenport. That tool helped quantify exactly what was going on. The issue is with the vmmouse Xorg driver (the xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse package on Ubuntu). Ubuntu 12.04's verison of that driver, 12.8, has some issue with VMware (funny, as I think VMware is the one who published the code). vmmouse 12.7 doens't have this issue.

I fixed the issue by building the 12.7 package for my Ubuntu 12.04 installation. I simply added the *source* repo for Ubuntu 11.10, got the source package for xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse, build the package, uninstalled the old xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse package, and installed the newly compiled one. Once installed you'll instantly see the difference. It's 100% usable now.

I submitted the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse/+bug/996821. If you are experiencing the same issue (which it sounds like you are), could you confirm this bug report on Launchpad?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RazorX0
Contributor
Contributor

I just got Kubuntu 12.04 running on VMware Workstation 8.0.3 and I started noticing this issue. It's driving me nuts! For example, the mouse is so unpredictable it keeps highlighting chunks of code when I just want to place the cursor.

Please prioritize this fix VMware! I'll try getting the older version working in the meantime.

0 Kudos
snip596
Contributor
Contributor

I am in talks with VMware regarding this issue. I think it has to do with our host hardware registering differently in the guest. The VMware devs currently cannot reproduce the issue, but we have narrowed it down to a specific commit in the vmmouse repo. I'll keep everyone posted.

0 Kudos
snip596
Contributor
Contributor

As a follow up, could both of you, tldavenport and RazorX0, post what mouse you are using in your host? Is it USB or PS/2? Also, is there any additional software you have installed? For example, I am using the Logitech G400 with the Logitech Gaming Software 8.20.74. My host mouse's driver version is 8.20.42.0.

0 Kudos
RazorX0
Contributor
Contributor

As suggested I was able to confim this issue by looking at xev and now after installing the 12.7 package it does not have the werid behivor.

I am using a Logitech G500:

SetPoint Version 5.44.5

Driver Version 5.30.67

Firmware Version 58.18

I'm not sure if these are the latest drivers. If I update and the problem goes away I will post here with the details.

0 Kudos
snip596
Contributor
Contributor

Just a quick update, I have posted step-by-step instructions on the bug report on how to fix the problem. The instructions basically have you build your own vmmouse package that reverts a commit recently made to the repo that is causing all of these issues. The bug report is available here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse/+bug/996821

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse/+bug/996821/comments/4 (my comment with the instructions)

The VMware devs are aware of this issue. We may see an official updated package later on, but it should "upgrade" the one we build here.

0 Kudos
snip596
Contributor
Contributor

The vmmouse package has been updated to 1:12.9.0-0ubuntu0.1 and has been released on precise-updates. As long as that repo is enabled (the default), you should see the update. This new package fixes the mouse issues.

0 Kudos
jare00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It was supposed to be updated, but the latest live CD from august 2012, 12.04.1, has still the issue ...

Any idea what could have gone wrong ?

0 Kudos
KdawgUD
Contributor
Contributor

I see the same problem with my Fedora 17 guest OS.  I can run 'xev' and see the mouse location moving when I click, but don't move the mouse.  Has anyone seen this on FC17 and have any suggestions?

0 Kudos