VMware Edu & Cert Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Certification Announces Upgrade Path from VCDX4 to VCDX5

Following the release of the VCAP5-DCD Beta exam results, the VMware Certification Team is pleased to announce the upgrade path from VCDX4 to VCDX5.

Current VCDX4 holders in good standing will be able to upgrade their certification to VCDX5 by successfully passing the VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5- Datacenter Design (VDCD510) exam. The VCAP5-DCD exam release date will be announced in May. Release of the VCAP5-DCD final exam blueprint will occur at that time.

All VCDX4-holders wishing to upgrade will be required to achieve VCP5. There will be a three-month window following the VCAP5-DCD exam release during which the VCP5 certification requirement will be satisfied upon successful completion of the VCAP5-DCD exam. After the three-month window expires, all VCDX4-holders will be required to satisfy published training and examination requirements for VCP5 prior to completing their upgrade via the VCAP5-DCD exam.

VCDX4-holders in good standing who have completed the VCAP5-DCD Beta Exam and achieved a passing score have satisfied the requirements for VCDX5 and are thus certified.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sakibpavel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this is a good chance for VCP4 holder for upgrading VCP5.

sakibpavel   
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes but the way I read that is you need to be a VCDX4 for the VCAP 5 DCD to count for a VCP 5 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
khusted
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea when this info will be posted on the VMWare certification page? It currently states:

Many people have also contacted us about attempting the successor to VCDX4, which we are codenaming, during its pre-release phase, “VCD.next”.

If you are already a VCDX, the path to VCD.next will be announced in conjunction with the release of prerequisite certifications. If you have not yet achieved VCDX you may indicate your desire to pursue a VCD.next credential in 2012 by pre-registering via this link.

I'm hesitant to boast the update until it's on there or on my transcript

VCP 2/3/4/5, VCAP5-DCA VCAP4/5-DCD, VCDX #48
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't know when it will get posted there, but this discussion was created by Mark Brunstad - he's the program manager for VCDX at VMware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
GaryJBlake
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've not currently completed my VCDX but plan to achieve VCDX4 this year @ VMworld Europe. What is my upgrade path to VCDX5 ?

I have VCP4, VCP5 and VCAP-DCD4 currently, I need to complete VCAP-DCA4 before doing my VCDX4 defense. Assuming I complete this, are we saying that I would just then need to take the VCAP-DCD5 exam to become VCDX5 certified ?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes uf you are successful on your VCDX defense -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Re: VCDX Defenses at VMworld San Francisco and Barcelona 2012

Cross post!

I received a great question from Gary Blake via email today and I'd like to address it here.

Gary  asks: "Can you please clarify one element of the VCDX, if I was to  attempt this at VCDX4 level what will we have to do to upgrade this to  VCDX5?"

The upgrade path for VCDX4 to VCDX5 was announced on May 3rd:  http://communities.vmware.com/thread/400727?tstart=0

But  I would like to clarify one point and offer some advice to those who  are planning to defend for VCDX4 at the VMworld events and then upgrade  to VCDX5 in the near future. I direct your attention to paragraph 2  below:

Current  VCDX4 holders in good standing will be able to upgrade their  certification to VCDX5 by successfully passing the VMware Certified  Advanced Professional 5- Datacenter Design (VDCD510) exam.

All  VCDX4-holders wishing to upgrade will be required to achieve VCP5.  There will be a three-month window following the VCAP5-DCD exam release  during which the VCP5 certification requirement will be satisfied upon  successful completion of the VCAP5-DCD exam. After the three-month  window expires, all VCDX4-holders will be required to satisfy published  training and examination requirements for VCP5 prior to completing their  upgrade via the VCAP5-DCD exam.

The  VCAP5-DCD exam was released at the end of May. So those wishing to take  advantage of the VCP5/VCAP5-DCD certification bundle will need to pass  the VCAP5-DCD before the offer window expires. In this case, on August  30th, 2012 - the last day of VMworld San Francisco. If you do not pass  the VCAP5-DCD on or before August 30th, and you are not VCP5, you will  need to sit the VCP5 exam in addition to the VCAP5-DCD exam to upgrade  your VCDX4 certification.

So,  my advice to VCP4s defending for VCDX4 at either VMworld is this:  Reduce complexity, save time (and probably some money), sit the  VCAP5-DCD exam before August 30th!

*Note - we will be offering the VDCD510 exam at VMworld San Francisco.

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

How about a scenario like this candidate is already VCP4 ,VCP5,VCAP4 DCA,VCAP4 DCD and VCAP5 DCD. He applies for the VCDX4 defense in barcelona after successful completion of the exam what will his credentials be. VCDX4 or VCDX5?

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My interpretation of Mark Brunstad's post immediately above yours suggests that you would gain both VCDX4 and VCDX5 certifications.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

You get both.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Correct! In this case the candidate would be VCDX4 and eligible for the upgrade to VCDX5.

To beat the horse just a little more - the candidate could also defend for VCDX5 directly.

Players choice as they say.

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Thanks Mark,

This is good news. One more thing what is the last date for submission of papers for Barcelona.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos