VMware Cloud Community
mechgt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to increase size of iSCSI datastore?

I'm trying to add an iomega StorCenter as an iSCSI target.  I've added the storage adapter which indicates 8.13TB total capacity in vSphere Client (this sounds like the right size).  When I add the datastore however, it's now saying it only has 128.75 GB capacity (that's where the problem is).  How  can I reclaim the full space available?  It's almost like I need to increase a partition size or something, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Also, if I click Datastore > Properties, the Increase... button opens a dialog box, but there's no items for me to select.

System desc:

ESXi 4.0

Datastore File Format VMFS 3.33

Max File Size: 256 GB

Block Size: 1MB

(This is intended to be space for VDR backups)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - ESX 4 only supports datastores of 2 TB - 512 B - you will need to carve up the storage being presented into LUNs that are smaller than 2 TB - 512 B

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - ESX 4 only supports datastores of 2 TB - 512 B - you will need to carve up the storage being presented into LUNs that are smaller than 2 TB - 512 B

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
RicardoAdao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You probably need to use extents (64TB max => 32 x 2TB extents), so you probably need to create different LUNs of 2TB, create 1 datastore with one of the luns and then add the other ones as extent's to it.

Do you already tried this approach?

rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

mechgt wrote:

I've added the storage adapter which indicates 8.13TB total capacity in vSphere Client (this sounds like the right size).  When I add the datastore however, it's now saying it only has 128.75 GB capacity

As Weinstein noted above ESXi 4.x only supports 2 TB-512 byte LUNs. As soon as you go over that limit the size "loops around". In your case with your 8.13 TB store this gets looped four times and then leaves just the 0.13 TB left.

To be able to use all that disk you will need to separate it into at least five LUNs.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
mechgt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect, that's exactly what I needed.  Thanks!

0 Kudos