VMware Cloud Community
PKKR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX Installation

Hi,

May I know how to do bulk installation of ESX in time constraint? Could someone please provide all the steps necessary.

Thanks,

Prashant

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Prashant,

There are a number of installation options for ESX, could you advise on what version (v4?) you are installing and how many you wish to install so we can best advise to which option would be best?

Based on the forum you posted in (VMware ESX 4) I would guess the best option is a scripted installation. This can work with local media or over a network and provides you great flexability / repeatability.

Check out pages 27-45 in the following PDF: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Prashant,

There are a number of installation options for ESX, could you advise on what version (v4?) you are installing and how many you wish to install so we can best advise to which option would be best?

Based on the forum you posted in (VMware ESX 4) I would guess the best option is a scripted installation. This can work with local media or over a network and provides you great flexability / repeatability.

Check out pages 27-45 in the following PDF: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
0 Kudos
PKKR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Nick,

The version is ESX 4.

Actually it is an interview questiuon. Say around 60 ESX servers.

If it is a scripted installation, could you please mention the step by step procedure and how much time does it take.

And also for an interview point of view could you please tell me in 5 to 6 lines how to explain the interviewer.

-Prashant

0 Kudos
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Prashant,

I think you may struggle in the interview if you need to know this for a job, but I'll help you out provide some guidance for you and anyone that stumbles across this thread in the future.

I HIGHLY recommend you read Chapter 6 (page 39-60) in the following PDF: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

1) Create a script to provide the configuration options to the installer. EG: there is a default ks-first.cfg provided in the above PDF

2) Copy that ks.cfg file to a location that the 60 hosts can see. This could be a CD or USB media that you put in each server, or it could be a file on a network location (FTP, HTTP, NFS etc).

3) Run the installer on each host (either PXE boot or local media (CD/DVD) install) and use the "Scripted Install" option and point it to your .KS script file.

4) The installation will now take place un-attended on each host. The installation shouldn't take much time to complete unless installing over a slow network link. They can all be installing simultaneously, so provided you have the script and ESX installation media in an accessible location to all hosts, it shouldn't take longer than what 1 installation would normally take (bandwidth limitations aside).

Cheers,

PKKR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very usefull info Nick. Hope I will be through, with the help of your answer, if I am asked the same question in interview.

Thank you very much.

-Prashant

0 Kudos