VMware Cloud Community
zgz87
Contributor
Contributor

Performance measurements questions about IOmeter

Hi everyone!

First of all I did not know where to put this thread so I placed it in the same group of discussions as the "unofficial storage performance" thread. I started to use IOmeter not long ago and I have a few simple questions:

1 - If I am using a physical drive instead of a logical one, the value of disk maximum size or starting sector should not matter, right?

2 - I am using the configuration file provided in the "unofficial storage performance" thread. One of the parameters is: Default Disk Workers to Spawn = number of CPUs. I have two CPUs but only one worker defined, is that worker using the two CPUs?

3 - When the performance measurements are executed on a logical drive, there is a file called iobw.tst which is created and expands over the whole drive. In my case, I am using physical drives and I have checked that my drives are also full (of course no file is created), should I remove the data on it in case I want to redo the measurements?

4 - In the document: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-3961 there is a comment from the user "drummonds" (2nd comment) that says:

Iometer does not use the correct, asynchronous libraries on Linux.  So, no matter what you put in the "outstanding IOs" text box, it only generates one IO at a time.

I checked it and definately he is right. Is it any solution to fix this bug.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies