12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 12:23 AM by ZJORZ

VMWare and Hyper-V together

ZJORZ Novice

Does anyone know if it is possible to have BOTH VMware 2012 and Win8 Hyper-V installed?

I would prefer to have both installed and use either one at a time. I do not need to run it at the same time. I just want to be able to choose which one to use

regards,

Jorge.

• 1. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
          mfelker Expert

No.  It is not possible on the host computer .  It amazes me that people don't try things themselves before posting a question they can answer themselves.    On the other hand it is possible to run both together (soft of - not natively on he same host) if you create a WS VM with the above OS's, enable Hyper-V in accord with the posted instructions - Beta overview doc).  and then create a nested Hyper-V VM.  I'm doing that right now - works well  .  You might only have to change the cdrom and/or display settings for the Windows OS.  The host(s)  are openSUSE 12.2 or Windows 8.  The WS VM is Windows 8.  The nested Hyper-V VM is Windows 7.  The Window 8 WS VM (with nested Hyper-V) was copied from Linux - using ntfs-3g in a multiboot serup.

However don't worry overmuch about posting and others have discussed this same  question on the Workstation production forum.

• 2. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
            ZJORZ Novice

I knew this was not possible in previous versions of VMware and Hyper-V. However, stuff might have changed.

Instead of trying it out myself what I asked and almost knowing the answer, I prefer to ask first then loose time. I do not have a closed full of hardware to try it out and rebuilding my working laptop just to try it out was not an option! If it did work, I would consider in rebuilding my work laptop with win8 and vmware wrk 2012.

If you get irritated by questions like these, then do not answer them

Met vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,

Jorge de Almeida Pinto

•: JorgeDeAlmeidaPinto@live.com

•: +31 (0)6 26.26.62.80

cid:image001.gif@01CD0C5D.A5EA4CE0

• 3. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
              continuum Guru
              User ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

I had WS 8 and HyperV installed at the same time with 2008 R2.
              But I needed a boot-option to start either the one or the other - so a quick switch without reboot was not possible

• 4. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                ZJORZ Novice

what do you mean with "boot-option"?

was that within the same OS? or did you have 2 windows install?

from the past I remember that if hyper-v was already installed and you wanted to install vmware workstation it said it could not continue because of hyper-v was installed.

I'm really a vmware workstation fan! I use it for years now and I do almost everything with it! It gives me al the flexibility I need/want on my laptop to test/try/play/learn/whatever. Hyper-V is like ESX and both lack the flexibility I need. However, sometimes I need to exchange VMs with others who use Hyper-V and in that case I need to use Hyper-V. Fortunately that does not happen that frequently

• 5. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                  Champion

ZJORZ wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to have BOTH VMware 2012 and Win8 Hyper-V installed?

I would prefer to have both installed and use either one at a time. I do not need to run it at the same time. I just want to be able to choose which one to use

Actually, if you want to run Workstation on a system with the Hyper-V role installed, you do need to run them at the same time.  Hyper-V is a Type I hypervisor.  Once you have the Hyper-V role installed on the system, everything runs under Hyper-V.  Even the management OS is virtualized.  Should you want to run Workstation, you will be running both at the same time.  (If you install Workstation on the management OS, Workstation VMs will run nested under the management OS under Hyper-V.)

Performance of the nested Workstation VMs will not be very good, but this is possible, as long as your CPU supports nested paging. See the section on "VMware Workstation under Hyper-V" in Running Nested VMs.

• 6. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                    jmtella Enthusiast

>I had WS 8 and HyperV installed at the same time with 2008 R2.
                    >But I needed a boot-option to start either the one or the other -

>o a quick switch without reboot was not possible

nope...

Capture_HV-VM.JPG

• 7. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                      continuum Guru
                      User ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

> what do you mean with "boot-option"?

> was that within the same OS? or did you have 2 windows install?

same OS but I had to add a bootoption to Windows bootmgr to either start with or without HyperV support

• 8. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                        ZJORZ Novice

interesting!

• 9. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                          ZJORZ Novice

can you provide me the boot option you are talking about?

or a link or info on how to configure that boot-option?

this may be the reason to go for win8 consumer preview!

• 11. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                            mfelker Expert

Yes This is interesting but pretty complicated.  I believe if you edit the bcd file incorrectly you might not be able to boot at all? Of course you need to be careful about registry edits in any event.

For me the question is pretty moot however since I multiboot between Windows 8 and 3 flavors of Linux. Two of them, Ubuntu 12.04 and openSUSE 12.2 have the Linux version of WS Beta nstallaed and one - Fedora 17 - where you can insatll WS and the modules start but if you try to run a VM you will get a kernel panaic.  I created a Windows 8  VM on openSUSE  instatlled Hyper-V and created a nested Hyper-V Windows 7 VM.  The whole setup works great - even at near natiave speeds but with senstive mouse control.    Then copied that WS VM to Winidows  and it runs there as well  Only problem - solved - is that lI had to delete the cdrom since it pointed to the non-existent /dev/sr0 on Windows.  Adding it back worked to start  the cdrom with the Windows host.

If I do concurrent I/O in both virualized VM's I get

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION.  See http://www.full-windows8.com/2012/03/dbd-watchdog-violation-error-your.html for more details.  After the auto  reboot Windows 8 will repairi itself. .

I could uninstall WS and/or run the  the multiboot setup discussed  when I fired up my Windows  instatllation.  Especially since I am imaginig all the OS's everyday.  However I'd be more intersted in creating  a  Hyper-VM in the native Windows 8 environment and innstalling  VMwar ewith a nexted VM in that setulp.  I don't think  this can be done (essentially the reverse of WS with nested Hyper-V.).

• 12. Re: VMWare and Hyper-V together
                              ZJORZ Novice

I’m just trying these steps out with Win8 and Vmware Wrk 8 and it works like a charm!!!

Thanks for the info!

Met vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,

Jorge de Almeida Pinto

•: JorgeDeAlmeidaPinto@live.com

•: +31 (0)6 26.26.62.80

cid:image001.gif@01CD0E56.A1EFB530