VMware Communities
DanS1966
Contributor
Contributor

Player on portable hard drive

I have 64 bit machine with vista home, can I install VMware player on  a external hard drive and install win XP Pro 32 bit on it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

DanS1966 wrote: I have 64 bit machine with vista home, can I install VMware player on  a external hard drive and install win XP Pro 32 bit on it?

VMware Player needs to be install on the Host System, even if selecting its working directory to be on a portable/removable device/drive, however any Virtual Machines stored on that portable/removable device/drive and run on a different Host System will require VMware Player to be install on that Host System as well.  In other words installing VMware Player to the portable/removable device/drive doesn't make VMware Player portable only the Virtual Machines are portable.

So I'd install VMware Player using its normal defaults on as many Host Systems that I wanted to run the Virtual Machines on and then store the Virtual Machines on a removable drive moving the drive between the different Host Systems as needed/wanted.

DanS1966
Contributor
Contributor

OK, i can isnstall player on the PC and on the portable hard  drive. Can I install a normal version of windows XP pro on the portable drive with player on it? Can Install the 32 bit version of XP when my host system that is a 64 bit system?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMplayer is not a portable app - so putting the VMplayer installation on a portable USB-drive is possible but it makes no sense.

The VMs - which are the documents created or used by VMplayer - can be stored where ever.

> Can I install a normal version of windows XP pro on the portable drive with player on it?

Yes - but putting the VMplayer application on the portable drive makes no sense. You have to install VMplayer on all systems where you want to use it.

Just going to any computer - plug in the portable drive and then doubleclick vmplayer.exe from the USB-drive does NOT work.

> Can Install the 32 bit version of XP when my host system that is a 64 bit system?
Yes

0 Kudos