VMware Cloud Community
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

understanding physical way to share the virtual disk

Hi,

I wanted to understand the physical way to share a virtual disk by configuring the scsi controller.

ShareDisks.JPG

As you can see in the attached image, i have chosen the option - "Physical - virtual disks can be shared between virtual machines on any server."

So, i have a scenario and please let me know if the above is applicable or not ?

I have 2 ESX hosts. i have created a VM on ESX host1 and now i want the virtual disk of that VM to be shared and eventually used by the VM on the other ESX host2. can i use the above option to fullfill my need ?

Also on a special note, the 2 ESX hosts are not on shared storage. they are running with their own local disk.

Will i still be able to do what i want to ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JASA1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not without shared storage or using the storage appliance. The 2nd esxi host can't see the local storage on the original host.

Check out the doumentation on creating a Mirosft Cluster to see how you can share disks. You can create a cluster in a box on one host or use RDM's with shared storage to allow multiple vm' acros hosts aces the same storage.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100461...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JASA1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not without shared storage or using the storage appliance. The 2nd esxi host can't see the local storage on the original host.

Check out the doumentation on creating a Mirosft Cluster to see how you can share disks. You can create a cluster in a box on one host or use RDM's with shared storage to allow multiple vm' acros hosts aces the same storage.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100461...

0 Kudos
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

That's what even i was wondering.

I went by the Help file and it is little incomplete as it does not mention the base criteria of shared storage requirement for the Virtual disk to be shared across different servers.

Thanks Again !!

ShareDisks.JPG

0 Kudos