3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 12:26 PM by OceansideTech

VM not getting an IP through DHCP

jayflora85 Novice

Hi, I have an Active Directory acting as a DHCP server. I am using vSphere 5. I just deployed 144VM's off of a Golden VM snapsho using View COnnection Server (View 5). The DHCP pool range can provide upto 2000 IP's. 123 out of the 144 deployed VM's got an IP, but the rest 21 didn't, but this is only on vSphere summary page and the VM's. When I check the DHCP directory and DNS on the Active Directory, I can see that thos 21 VM's have been registered in the DNS (brcdvdi.com) and DHCP has provided IP's to them. I have tried selecting the VM's from View Connection Server and Resetting them but to no avail. The View agent version under View Connection server says "Unknown", but VMware Tools and View Agent is installed on the VM's when I check manually. I have attached screenshots of what I see.

Thanks,

-Jay

• 1. Re: VM not getting an IP through DHCP
          OceansideTech Lurker

I am experiencing the same problem.  I first thought that maybe my dhcp lease was to long and that I was running out of IP's, but that is not the case.  I've logged onto the vm through vcenter and tried to do a release and renew, but it still wont pickup an IP address.  If I remove the problem vm trought the connection server then they start working again.  I'm thinking maybe it's the network adapter.  My VM's are set for flexible.  I think I'll try one of the other choices.

Mark

• 2. Re: VM not getting an IP through DHCP
            jayflora85 Novice

Hi Mark,

I solved my problem but it is sort of specific to my setup. The number of ports in the vSwitch I was deploying the VM's on was 120, because of which only 120 VM's had adapters. I increased the number of ports to 504, restarted the VM's and now all of them have adapters and IP's from the DHCP server.

Thanks,

-Jay

• 3. Re: VM not getting an IP through DHCP
              OceansideTech Lurker

Glad you were able to resolve your problem.  I fixed mine too.  It turned out one of my host nics was in the wrong port on my switch so the vm's couldn't hit the dhcp server.