VMware Cloud Community
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCloud Director 1.5 and ESX 5.0 agent install

So I've been stuck on this issue all day. I setup a LAB VC, vCloud Director 1.5 on RHLE and imported the vShield appliance. 2 hosts can both see the same two 1TB luns. In VC is all looks good, but the issue is now I cannot prepare my 2 hosts. I've rebuilt them 4 times each. Both hosts are in a cluster with DRS enabled. I get the following error in vCloud Director:

"Cannot prepare host"

Failures occurred during prepare of host "esxi2".
  - esxi2
  - esxi2

I've tried forcing a manual install:

/var/log # esxcli software vib install --force -d /opt/vmware/vcloudagent-1.5.0-453916.zip
Installation Result
   Reboot Required: false
   VIBs Installed: VMware_bootbank_vcloud-agent_1.5.0-453916
   VIBs Removed:
   VIBs Skipped:

But then going into vCD it's not prepared....I've tried everything I can think of.

Which log files do I need to sift through on the host to file more info on why the it's failing?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

even if you install the VIB manually, you still need to execute the "prepare" step from vCloud Director.  the VIB itself is just a module, and it won't be configured correctly until you run the prepare action from vCloud.

Please make sure that you have a persistent scratch location, should this be a small footprint installation.  If you are on an SD card or USB stick for storage, make sure that it happens fast enough to process the upload and install within a minute or two ... or else it's a timeout.

either way the logs you would need to look at are the vcloud-container-debug.log (from the time of the error state), and maybe the esx host logs in case there is an installation error.

/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/logs/

Cheers,

Jon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

even if you install the VIB manually, you still need to execute the "prepare" step from vCloud Director.  the VIB itself is just a module, and it won't be configured correctly until you run the prepare action from vCloud.

Please make sure that you have a persistent scratch location, should this be a small footprint installation.  If you are on an SD card or USB stick for storage, make sure that it happens fast enough to process the upload and install within a minute or two ... or else it's a timeout.

either way the logs you would need to look at are the vcloud-container-debug.log (from the time of the error state), and maybe the esx host logs in case there is an installation error.

/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/logs/

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info on the VIB! Each host has a 60GB harddrive that ESXi is installed to. I couldn't find any logs on the ESXi 5 hosts but I found errors on the vCD box in the location you provided!

Errors in vcloud-container-info start here:

2012-03-02 20:37:23,846 | ERROR    | pool-preparehost-24-thread-3 | EsxCliAgentBundle              | Failed to copy agent binary /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/agent/vcloudagent-1.5.0-453916.vib on esx2 | vcd=42a2e0798fa14fda95c293d31dc69311,task=bf06fd098e863c83b196e3a8f1d9b382
java.net.UnknownHostException: esx2
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:529)

Then I thought maybe the firewall was on the hosts but checked and it wasn't (scripted install disables it). Figured it out though. My lab is not on the domain and the vCD box is not resolving hostnames to IP's the way Virtual Center is atm. I guess if I added the hosts via IP in VC I would have picked this up this morning! Any how added the IP/Hostnames to the /etc/hosts file on the vCD box problem solved. I feel like a real tosser! Sorry for the trouble Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'll be gentile by saying ... LOL, make sure you meet the minimum install requirements as per the manual.

Glad it's up and running though!

Cheers,

Jon

CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hahaha I know, silly error. Guess the small things slip your mind you constantly rebuilding your lab environment :smileygrin: Lesson learnt though, hopefully Smiley Wink

0 Kudos