VMware Cloud Community
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager patch repository

Does anyone know of a way to remove/delete old patches from the patch repository in Update Manager ?

I'm running all ESXi 4.1 and I want to remove all the old ESX 4.0 patches, and other os patches that we do not run to clean up the repository.

Any ideas ? maybe a utility or CLI that might do the trick ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ChrisI88,

Once you have upgraded all  of your hosts to higher version in your inventory,  you should be safe to manually remove the old patches from your hard  drive.  There is no way to do it through the GUI and if you want to not  see the patches in the Patch Inventory window, you will have to wipe  the VUM database and recreate your baselines.  Default patchstore  location is c:\documents and settings\all users\application  data\vmware\update manager\da ta\hostupdate\.

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Add and Remove Patches from a Baseline
From the Patch Repository you can include available, recently downloaded patches in a baseline you select.
Procedure
1 Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered and select Home > Solutions and Applications > Update Manager in the navigation bar. If your vCenter Server system is a part of a connected group in vCenter Linked Mode, and you have at least one Update Manager instance, you can select which Update Manager patch repository to view by selecting the name of the respective vCenter Server system from the navigation bar.

2 Click the Patch Repository tab to view all the available patches.

3 Click the Add to baseline link in the Baselines column for a selected patch.

4 In the Edit containing baselines window, select or deselect the baselines in which you want to include, or from which you want to exclude this patch and click OK.

If your vCenter Server system is a part of a connected group in vCenter Linked Mode, and you have at least one Update Manager instance, you can add or exclude the patches from baselines specific to the selected Update Manager instance.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
g0rbi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it works with a little SQL, see my solution here :

www.steffen-ille.de/blog.php?entry=29

it's written in german, but I can translate if wanted.

it's NOT recommended by vmware support, they prefer to re-initialize the YUM database.

0 Kudos