VMware Cloud Community
VitoJr
Contributor
Contributor

How can I get multiple datastores on one LUN?

I am setting up a new Vshpere ESXi 5 server on a 3U server with 9TB of RAID space.  I know this is not recommended to put VMs and file storage on one box, but it is all I have.

I created one 10 GB partition for the ESX portion, 1 TB for VMs and reserved 8 TB for file storage.  My goal is to create a few datastores and point one VM to each datastore for easier segregation.

When I create a datastore via the menu options, vSphere wants to take the entire 8TB.  I can't seem to create smaller stores.

Is there a better way of doing this with my setup?  I don't want to have the VM server and file storage together in one datastore.

Do I need to use command line for this?

Thank you.

7 Replies
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

Take that RAID array and create multiple LUNs...

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

or you can Increase the size of you VM partition and just create multiple virtual disks

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
VitoJr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the responses.  I want to keep data seperate from the VMs in case a VM dies.

I could repartition the RAID into LUNS, but I want one RAID partition with several dynamic datastores.  Not sure if that can be done.

0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

Please check this

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1827892

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I could repartition the RAID into LUNS, but I want one RAID partition with several dynamic datastores.

Although a VMFS datastore is just a partition with type VMFS (FB) and one could easily create multiple partitions manually, it's not supported to have more than one VMFS datastore on a disk/LUN.

I don't want to have the VM server and file storage together in one datastore.

What's the reason for this? Usually the OS does not put much load on the datastore. Unless there are really special needs I always keep the VM's virtual disks in one folder. You can still create the VM with two virtual disks for OS and data and separate them later if needed.

André

0 Kudos
vito_cavallo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again everyone.  I will try seperate paritions on the one large datastore.  If I cannot make it work, then breakup the RAID into smaller LUNS.

Thanx, all were very helpful.

0 Kudos
orthohin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1 LUN = 1 Datastore = Many VMDKs.

For each LUN having 2TB-512b  maximum size. then it would be 500TB ++ before you run out of space.

It is quite rare to reach such limits.

Regards,
Milton

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window
0 Kudos