VMware Cloud Community
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving VI3 cluster from vC2 to vC5?

Currently both are up in different networks.

For 2-host VI3 cluster:
vC2 console is on data network.  I moved vMotion to management network, which is also the same vSwitch/vmnics/network as vC5  (different vlan).
Created 2nd console on same vSwitch as management (different vlan)

But I need to put host into Maint mode to remove from vC2.  Which means evacuate or shut down guests.

So if I evacuate to host2 and move host1 to vC5 .... How do I remove host2 from vC2 without a shutdown of guests?   or can't I?

The host can't be a member of two vCenters can it? (not talking the advanced/distributed stuff)

I am aware of the VI3 and vC5 licensing "fun".
I have no interest in the history of the old, so no db migration needed.

One sidebar though:  if I've got two vmConsoles on two networks, how do I know which connetion vmkping is going through?

(validate communications to vCx)

Thanks!

D

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcomet to the Community - The best place to start is with the upgrade guide - http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-upgrade....

You are correct and ESX host can only bemanged by a single vCenetr server.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks  - Yes, I've been through that guide.

I think I found the answer - reading between the lines.

A little nuance that doesn't seem to be explicitly stated in many places I've searched on this:

The host must be put in maint. mode to remove it from the vCluster. (evacuate guests)

But don't remove it from vCenter.

Once it's out of the cluster, take out of maint. mode, and you can migrate guests back to it.

THEN you can remove the host from vCenter without taking down the guests.

But I'm still going to wait until our Maintenance window to give this another try  😉

0 Kudos