VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

E1000E

I want to know when e1000e network adapter is available. is this type is specfic to the type of operating system that we are installing in the virtual machine.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

good news - it is available

just use
ethenet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

I would only use it with recent guestOS such as Win7 or 2008 or recent Linux

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

where i need to use this  ethenet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

the line has to bee added in the configuration file xx.vmx of the virutal machine.

Or just go the edit setting of the virtual machine and click add and go to network adapter and add there..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

is this modification is supported by vmware?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

E1000E is an additional Ethernet Adapter in ESXi 5.0, if you cannot see in Edit Settings than most likely that particular VM is not supporting the new E1000E ethernet adpater.

You can always make changes in the *.vmx configuration file of a VM but you need to be careful in what changes you are making, piece of advice to take a copy of the existing *.vmx file before making any changes thus if there are any problems you can always revert to your copy of old configuration file.

Hope this information is helpful

Nikhil

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

But Nikhil my question is that this configuration is supported by vmware or not?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
scowse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ranjna

If it is available by default then it is supported.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

And from what I see, it is only a  drop down option for 2k12. I have no idea about Linuxes.

0 Kudos
Alim786
Expert
Expert

Any vNIC that you can add for a VM is supported. However, to find out which one is the best choice for your guest OS, please see article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100180...

I hope this helps.

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
xiquyila
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nikhil,

could you do me a favor, how can i make ESXi 5.1 【not ESXi 5.0】 surpport  "E1000E Ethernet Adapter",  i have tryed methods below, but it just didn't work:

first, when i add a new adapter through "vSphere Client", there is no "E1000E" option , only "E1000/VMXNET2/VMXNET3/vlance" options;

second ,  so i try to edit my *.vmx file directly by adding this "ethenet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"" , which doesnt work too.

so,  what should i do, is there any other solutions ?

THX

Foster

0 Kudos